cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LED1642GW LED's flicker during brightness changes.

DKeny.1
Associate

Testing the LED1642GW using the X-NUCLEO-LED16A1 expansion board. I appear to have the communication working using the digital keys for LE on a GPIO output and a SPI interface. I can read and write the configuration register and write brightness values to the individual LED's using data latch and global latch and then writing to the switch register to enable all the LED's.

My application requires continuous updates to the brightness levels at a rate of 40Hz. When updating the brightness at this rate the LED's display flutter and flicker as well as unusual color changes.

I've tried with a PWM CLK of 8 MHz and1 MHz, SPI rates of 1 MHz and 391 KHz. I reviewed the spec and all the ap notes available for this part and eval boards but did not see anything that suggests I am doing something wrong.

Is there a limitation to how often the brightness values can be updated?

Can the brightness levels be updated while the LED Outputs are enabled?

Does the CPI CLK need to be operating continuously?

The communication diagrams in the spec indicate a LE pulse of 1 SPI CLK before each

brightness update. Is this required?

Any assistance on this is greatly appreciated.

Thankyou

Dave

2 REPLIES 2
Cristiana SCARAMEL
ST Employee

Hi @DKeny.1​ and welcome to the ST Community.

Since your question is about a LED driver, I moved your thread from the topic Motor Control Hardware to dedicated section.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution"
DKeny.1
Associate

Thankyou Cristiana,

I have also noticed that single writes to the brightness values cause flicker. It seems as if the PWM counters are being updated or reset in the middle of a PWM cycle rather than at the beginning.

Dave