cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can STPD01 be used to power up other circuits different than USB?

SHamm.2
Associate

I am looking for programmable buck converter to provide up to 12V/2A output with 24VDC input to use it in my design when I ran into STPD01. Could it be possible to use this buck to power up my circuit (not for USB purpose) ?

Thanks!

Sabrine

3 REPLIES 3
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Welcome, @SHamm.2​, to the community!

Why would you want to use the STPD01 for such a task when a simple buck converter would easily cover it?

A selection table can be found here, where you can currently find 14 suitable types, e.g., L6983 or L6986 if you restrict the search to:

• Grade = Industrial,
  • Input Voltage Max = 30...75V,
  • Output Current 2...3A

Does it answer your question?

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
SHamm.2
Associate

Dear Peter,

Thank you for your reply!

because I needed more than 1 voltage output I thought an adjustable one would do the work but I guess I just need a dual buck. It is just not easy to find one that provides more than 5V output.

I would appreciate any suggestion :)

Regards,

Sabrine

Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

It is always helpful in such cases to mention the respective requirements first, so that one's own, usually already filtered view is avoided. ��

In fact, higher voltages than 5V do not play nearly the role nowadays as they did in the last century, so that consequently the interest of manufacturers to offer such special components is also low. With a dual buck, there is also the problem that with changing load conditions, oscillations can occur that can reach the audible range and cause at least massive EMI. To avoid this, the switching frequency of the two buck controllers is typically synchronised.

Much more flexible in terms of load possibilities is the realisation of such dual buck with two separate controllers, whereby at least one should be a device with SYNC input, which is then synchronised by the other.

If you extend the aforementioned filter settings by Other Features > SYNCHRONIZATION, you get four asynchronous converters (i.e. with free-wheeling diode, as found at the beginning of the Wikipedia article on buck converters).

The L7985 should fit well, because you can connect the SYNC pin of two such controllers directly, so that the one with the higher switching frequency synchronises the other to the same frequency. This has the additional advantage that a phase shift of 180° is achieved without further external hardware, which significantly reduces the current ripple on the input side.

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.