cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BTA41-800 with smaller crystal size - is it counterfeit? have anyone seen such, is there any way to distinguish if it is the counterfeit part or no?

igor_s
Associate II

In one of our boards, we use BTA41-800 triac. Few boards malfunctioned and I opened the package of some burned triacs and normal triac in order to compare - and noticed that all burned triacs have smaller chip than in "nornal" one. Is it counterfeit?

4 REPLIES 4
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

They are very likely counterfeits. This can be determined without a doubt if you take a picture of the bulk ID from the label of the packaging (preferably the whole label) and send it to us via PM.

Please do not post label info here, because the threads in the community are public and the label data can be misused otherwise.

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Crystal?

Do you mean the IC (Integrated Circuit) within the package?

Did you X-Ray or decap the parts?

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
igor_s
Associate II

Thanks, Peter - I will try to obtain the label.

Interesting, it worked some time, i.e. it is definitely triac - but the crystal is much less.

In general - is it possible to recognize what exactly it is, if I send such part to ST?

Tesla, thanks for reply - it is not IC, but yes we are speaking about crystal inside the package. I broke it apart in order to view crystal size.

> In general - is it possible to recognize what exactly it is, if I send such part to ST?

STMicroelectronics can carry out investigations if you can prove that you have purchased the components from an official distributor and that a fault analysis has been requested through them.

At least we can help you to check the Bulk ID, the rest you have to do via the distributor, the community is neither intended nor able to do this.

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.