cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SD Card Alternatives

BenG142
Associate II

I'm trying to find an embedded solution to replace an SD Card.

Basic non-volatile memory, I2C or SPI read/writes.

I spotted ST NVRAM, but can't seem to find much about it - is this a new or discontinued product?

Are there any other options that I should be considering?

Thanks,

Ben

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

On the website of STMicroelectronics you can find NVRAM, which are very old, are still operated with 5V and whose memory is quite small with 2...32KB.

For NVM, i.e. non-volatile memory, ST has EEPROM, which are available with different interfaces: I2C, Microwire or SPI. However, EEPROMs are typically limited to relatively small amounts of memory, which, depending on the interface, lie between 1...4096kbit, i.e. 128 bytes ... 512KB.

If you want more memory, you should use serial NAND flash, which is available from various manufacturers - just search for terms like "serial nand" using your favourite search engine.

Does it answer your question?

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

On the website of STMicroelectronics you can find NVRAM, which are very old, are still operated with 5V and whose memory is quite small with 2...32KB.

For NVM, i.e. non-volatile memory, ST has EEPROM, which are available with different interfaces: I2C, Microwire or SPI. However, EEPROMs are typically limited to relatively small amounts of memory, which, depending on the interface, lie between 1...4096kbit, i.e. 128 bytes ... 512KB.

If you want more memory, you should use serial NAND flash, which is available from various manufacturers - just search for terms like "serial nand" using your favourite search engine.

Does it answer your question?

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Absolutely, thank you Peter.

I was hoping to stick to ST for your great documentation and quick support (just like this), so that's fantastic!

Many thanks,

Ben

eMMC and QUAD/OCTO SPI NAND and/or NOR Flash

Depends a lot on the size and bandwidth/speed expectations. Usage patterns and how much error correction or block/wear management you want to deal with.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..