cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LSM6DSV16X chip does not work.

YJU
Associate

LSM6DSV16X chip does not work.

I purchased the LSM6DSV16XTR chip, then looked at the datasheet and built a simple circuit.스크린샷 2023-10-14 151432.png
But SPI communication doesn't work.
I used the LSM6DSV16X arduino library provided by Sparkfun, but communication was not possible.
What's really strange is that I took the chip from the Sparkfun LSM6DSV16X breakout board and attached it to the circuit I designed, and it worked fine.

스크린샷 2023-10-19 202215.png

When I first start up the sensor, do I need to initialize it in a specific way?

Or maybe the delivery was wrong? 

The LSM6DSOX chip also has the same pin layout, and I tried soldering it the same way, but SPI communication does not work.
Is there something I need to set up first? I'm sad because I'm a beginner.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Federica Bossi
ST Employee

Hi @YJU ,

Welcome to ST Community!

I think that the pull up on the CS could be create problems in SPI mode.

In addition you put a a ground plane under the device that is not suggested in TN0018.

If this not solves your problems, please share your schematic with all the values, otherwise if this helps you, please mark my answer as "Best Answer" by clicking on the "Accept as Solution" button, this can be helpful for Community users to find this solution faster.:)

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Federica Bossi
ST Employee

Hi @YJU ,

Welcome to ST Community!

I think that the pull up on the CS could be create problems in SPI mode.

In addition you put a a ground plane under the device that is not suggested in TN0018.

If this not solves your problems, please share your schematic with all the values, otherwise if this helps you, please mark my answer as "Best Answer" by clicking on the "Accept as Solution" button, this can be helpful for Community users to find this solution faster.:)

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
TDK
Guru

That's a pretty small chip. How confident are you that it's soldered correctly? Did you solder yourself or was it already assembled when you got it?

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

I confirmed that the sensor works even if I remove the pull-up resistor. (Chip removed from breakoutboard)
However, chips purchased separately still do not work.

I removed the chip from the Breakout board and attached a separately purchased lsm6DSV16X chip to that circuit. I tried to read the sensor ID register through SPI communication, but it was not possible.

So I suspected there was heat damage, so I re-soldered it back to the original chip and it worked without a problem.

I think there is a difference between the chip on the breakout board and the chip purchased separately, but I don't know what it is. This is because I purchased a product with the exact same numbering.

I don't think soldering is the problem because all soldering of the chips separated from the breakout board was successful.