cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there an STMicro STM32 library which uses gyroscope input for a tilt compass?

Rstua.1
Senior

I am using STMicro's proprietary (i.e. STMicro does not publish the source code for this library) MotionMC library. This library does not result in a tilt compass as reactive as almost any other compass implemented on common off the shelf Android devices. We have received many complaints regarding how sluggish our compass feels to the end user.

At this point in this STMicro youtube video (https://youtu.be/A3lj1VXh9SM?t=373) the STMicro narrator states the software used for the STMicro demo uses the data from an STMicro gyroscope!

I want this STMicro software for our STM32 processor based product which uses STMicro Accelerometers, Gyroscopes & Magnitometers!

Where can I find it?

Quick! The HW engineer is already getting pressure to change the sensors and has asked me twice for alternative vendor name!

3 REPLIES 3

So you want source to a library that doesn't perform your task well, but aren't able to engineer, or prototype, something that performs better with the physics, math and sw guys in your team?

What parts are the Android devices using, and isn't that open source? Is that light weight enough to work well on an MCU?

How's your search for other parts coming along?

Perhaps the hw guy can accommodate the footprint of a couple of 9-DOF devices, so you have flexibility in this challenging/changing market

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Rstua.1
Senior

We are using the STMicro libraries for tilt compass. They do not use gyroscope input. I could likely add some gyroscope effects to the results of the STMicro library outputs. But I would rather use a complete solution which uses the gyroscope, accelerometer and magnetometer.

We are testing MadgwickAHRS found at https://github.com/arduino-libraries/MadgwickAHRS which uses all these inputs. Already we see our tilt compass is more reactive and less sluggish.

Addressing your post specifically: I do not want source code. Actually the tilt compass STMicro library source code files are not published. I want STMicro tilt compass libraries that use gyroscope input so that they are as reactive as most off the shelf Android compass applications. We are not writing anything for an Android. I am only using that platform and common compass applications for comparison purposes.

Hi @Rstua.1​ ,

If the Tilt library that uses accelerometer data is not enough, you might use the MotionFX sensor fusion library from the X-CUBE-MEMS1 package, and then calculate the tilt from motion-sensor data fusion (e.g. from Euler's angles computation).

-Eleon