cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMP23ABSU Ultrasonic MEMS Microphone

Ivan Bravo
Associate

Hello,

I am attempting to build an ultrasonic microphone for predictive maintenance applications. I have produced a flex circuit per ST's Application Note: 5522. I have not, however been able to pick up ultrasonic signals. What sort of output(voltage range) am I supposed to expect if I want to pick up ultrasound? I have built the circuit recommended on their datasheet, but the signal levels remain real low. Is this expected? Is a high pass filter required? Can anyone provide additional guidance?

0693W00000ANMELQA5.png

4 REPLIES 4
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

What kind of opamp did you use?

What is the value of R at the non-inverting pin of the opamp?

What is the value of Vref?

Where did you measure the signal levels?

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
IBrav.1
Associate

Hello,

What kind of opamp did you use?

• LM358AN

What is the value of R at the non-inverting pin of the opamp?

• 500 ohms

What is the value of Vref?

• Vref is about 1.64 (about half of 3.3V)

Where did you measure the signal levels?

• I measured the signal levels at the output of the Op Amp

• R1 is about 160 Ohms
  • R2 is currently 172 kOhms

My current setup the flexboard connected to a breadboard op amp circuit. I am using an oscilloscope to measure the output of the op amp.

Regards,

Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

There are a few things you should do better:

• the LM358 is a bipolar opamp designed for higher supply voltages. Even if you can use it with a 5V single supply, it has about 2V voltage drop and fits only for small signals, with a supply of 3.3V it is no longer useful. Definitely a better choice would be a low voltage rail-to-rail CMOS opamp with enough margin in bandwidth, e.g. the TSV912 or TSV912A.
  • The resistor R at the non-inverting input is much too small and creates a huge load for the output resistance of the IMP23ABSU, for which the datasheet gives min 15kohms.
  • If a lower frequency limit of 100Hz is OK for you, then please use
    • for C1 a ceramic capacitor (MLCC) of about 0.1µF (can be even smaller for a frequency limit of e.g. >1kHz)
    • for R a resistor of 47...82k
  • Please reduce the feedback from factor 1075 (way too high) to e.g. 25...30, i.e. to R1=1.8k, R2=47k

Good luck!

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
Ivan Bravo
Associate

Hello,

I appreciate the feedback.

the LM358 is a bipolar opamp designed for higher supply voltages. Even if you can use it with a 5V single supply, it has about 2V voltage drop and fits only for small signals, with a supply of 3.3V it is no longer useful. Definitely a better choice would be a low voltage rail-to-rail CMOS opamp with enough margin in bandwidth, e.g. the TSV912 or TSV912A.

• I have ordered the TSV912 and should be receiving this in about a week.

The resistor R at the non-inverting input is much too small and creates a huge load for the output resistance of the IMP23ABSU, for which the datasheet gives min 15kohms.

If a lower frequency limit of 100Hz is OK for you, then please use

• for C1 a ceramic capacitor (MLCC) of about 0.1µF (can be even smaller for a frequency limit of e.g. >1kHz)
    • for R a resistor of 47...82k
  • R has been changed to 56k.
  • C1 has been changed to .1uF MLCC

Please reduce the feedback from factor 1075 (way too high) to e.g. 25...30, i.e. to R1=1.8k, R2=47k

• R1 has been changed to 3.3k, and R2 to 102k; feedback is now about 32

With the changes mentioned, and a "Dog Whistle" smartphone app outputting sound, I was able to measure a frequency of 19kHz at about 135mV p-p. Is this the type of behavior expected from the MEMs microphone?

Could I expect a larger p-p voltage measurement using the TSV912?

Up to what frequency could one realistically expect to accurately pick up using the IMP23ABSU?

Thanks,