cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is it possible to use VL53L1X for People Height measurement and Diesel tank level measurement ?

HHaje.1
Associate II

Hi

I'm having currently 2 projects, One relying mainly on VL53L1X for Tank level monitoring system, (Water and Diesel). And I'm trying VL53l1X to measure people heights.

• For the first project : The sensor is tested for liquid level monitoring, Which goes perfectly!

Anyway the issue begins when the 'Diesel' is filling out, Diesel vapor blinds the sensor to make incorrect measurements ups and downs, This behavior Continued for about 7 hours with a small vapor relief pipe on top of the 2 meters height tank.

In our tests, This is the only issue we're facing with VL53L1X.

• For the second project : I've tested the sensor to measure people's height (Sensor is fixed on top of the measurement device facing down), But due to differentsurface type (hair, caps , ...) , It varies widely in the range of 50cm, having an error* of approximately +5cm for a thick hair, less for a cap.

* from the sensor's perspective.

Q/ Is there a method / custom sensor configuration you suggest to solve these issues ?

I've read the Data sheet, But I'm not certain where to go for my custom applications.

I'll prepare a testing strategy using sensor's configurations. Any input would help a lot!

*I've done a re-test for people measurement issue by shorten the distance mode to Short. There's no such improvement to the performance,. still unstable.

I think minimizing the ROI would be counter-productive, As the target is usually 'Black hair'. where the sensor needs more of returned light than less.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
John E KVAM
ST Employee

Watch the video on dirty coverglass.

VL53L1X Dirty Cover Glass: https://youtu.be/BHM2CZVXZGc

By building this sort of coverglass - or buying it from www.horzix.com.tw - you will solve your diesel issue.

When measuring to the top of the head, the only solution is get closer.

Hair is not very reflective and you don't want the shoulders in the field of view.

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
John E KVAM
ST Employee

Watch the video on dirty coverglass.

VL53L1X Dirty Cover Glass: https://youtu.be/BHM2CZVXZGc

By building this sort of coverglass - or buying it from www.horzix.com.tw - you will solve your diesel issue.

When measuring to the top of the head, the only solution is get closer.

Hair is not very reflective and you don't want the shoulders in the field of view.

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'

Thank you for your answer.

Can you please re-check the website, as it's not reachable here.