cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does STMicro have a pressure transducer/transmitter for Automotive TPMS?

TJM
Senior

I put this in MEMS and Sensors but maybe it should go in Automotive, but after browsing for a component, I'm not finding any sensor ICs for automotive TPMS systems in the category of pressure transducers/transmitters used for these systems. Is there none or am I just not finding this component?

Thanks,

TM

3 REPLIES 3
Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi @TJM​ 

welcome back!

Unfortunately ST has no "automotive graded" pressure sensors, if the definition of automotive pressure sensor is a transducer able to reach high bar level and sustain >150°C of operating temperature. This may be different for the TPMS case, indeed...

You may try to reach high pressure full scale by enclosing for example a LPS33HW inside a semi-rigid box, and characterize the pressure variation for different external pressures... But ok, this is just for R&D purposes, not industrialization...

-Eleon

TJM
Senior

Eleon, thanks for the reply.

I figured there was a reason why I couldn't find this ST sensor. How did they miss this one application?

The LPS33HW is about the right size but the sensors being used for TPMS have a bit more range with the transmitter built in.

Thanks,

TJM

Hi @TJM​ ,

you are right, for TPMS application you should need at least 5 to 10 bar full scale. I believe the reason is more related to the automotive qualification requirements, being the application environment quite different from the standard personal electronics one.

-Eleon