cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant get MKI109V3 to connect to PC

jkain.11
Associate II

I have the STEVAL-MKI224V1A with the LPS22DF pressure sensor. 

This is attached to a STEVAL-MKI109V3 motherboard.

I downloaded and installed the UNICO GUI version 9.14.6.0 

The GUI app opens as expected and I select the "Environmental Sensors" on the left list.

Then I select the "STEVAL-MKI224V1 (LPS22DF)" from the right list.

The MKI109V3 with USB cable is plugged in to the PC and a green LED is blinking at a ~1/sec rate. Also, there is a steady blue LED on the motherboard.

After clicking, I immediately get an error dialog that says:

Error: Communication with the motherboard failed.

Please check the motherboard is connected properly.

I have not changed any of the jumpers on the motherboard.

Any ideas on how to proceed?

8 REPLIES 8
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Welcome, @jkain.1​, to the community!

Did you connect the kit under Windows, MacOSX or Linux?

Have you read through the UM1049?

Can you find the COM port of the kit as mentioned in UM1049, section 4?

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
jkain.11
Associate II

Thanks Peter.

I dont see any Ports devices in the Device Manager ..

Am I missing a driver?

I am using Windows 10 Pro Version 22H2.

JIm

As you can read in the related UM2116, section 2, the driver is already included in W10, so the board should be visible in Device Manager after plugging it in.

However, the firmware in EVAL is probably not up to date or compatible with the current GUI, so you should program the latest firmware from the STSW-MKI109 package into the motherboard. The video shows the principle of the firmware update, even though it is a bit older and some small details have changed, e.g. the DFU file is now located in FIRMWARE\ProfiMEMSTool board.

Hope that helps?

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
jkain.11
Associate II

still no luck. Downloaded and installed the STMCubeProgrammer. Similar to the video. I connected the 109V3 to the PC USB port with the top-left button depressed. The Blue LED is on and steady. I did not see the expected item under USB Serial Bus Devices in the device manager as explained in the video. I run the CubeProgrammer, select the USB from the pulldown, and then click connect. An error is presented saying failed to connect. There is also a text box that says "no DFU".

Any suggestions?

Jim

Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Maybe now is the time to find out if the problem is with the cable, board or PC.

So take another cable, of which you know for sure that it is not only a charging cable.

If it still doesn't work, please switch to another USB port, then to another computer if necessary.

jkain.11
Associate II

I already tried three microUSB cables as wel as all the three TypeA USB ports on my Alienware 64bit computer running Windows 10 Pro. I have also reseated the MKI224V1A pressure sensor board. When I plug in the 109V3 motherboard w/o pushing the top-left button, I get a solid blue and blinking-green LED. When I plug in the boat and simultaneously push the top-left button, I get only a single blue LED. Is the order of pushing the button an issue?

I have installed:

"STM32CubeProgrammer API v2.13.0 | Windows-64Bits" 

and "UNICO GUI 9.14.6.0"

I assume that seeing the "STM32_BOOTLOADER" in the "Universal Serial Bus Devices" is crucial to moving forward?

Well, the BT2 serves among other things for the start of the bootloader by switching the signal SW2 to VDD (see schematics in UM2116). The bootloader becomes active when BT2 is pressed and then the reset button BT3 is pressed briefly, after which BT2 can be released again. After that the board should be visible as "STM32_BOOTLOADER", so that the STM32CubeProgrammer should find it.

Regards

/Peter

jkain.11
Associate II

I reviewed section 2.2.1 of the UM2116 manual. I tried both methods for initiating the DFU mode. Pressing BT2 at startup and releasing when D6 lights up. And pressing BT2 and BT3 simulatneously then releasing BT3 followed by BT2. I did not see the “STM device in DFU mode�? anywhere in the Device Manager as expected based on 2.2.1. The Blue LED (D6) lights up as expected based on section 2.2.1. Any other thoughts? I'll look for another computer to try.