cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calibrating digital magnetometer along only two axis.

CGrov.1
Associate II

I am making a tilt-compensated digital compass with an MMC5983MA magnetometer and a LIS2HH12 accelerometer. I have been calibrating the compass using the min/max method and rotating the compass in free space, which works fairly well.

I need to be able to calibrate the compass using rotation only about the Z axis in the X-Y plane. The problem I am seeing is that the Z-axis is completely uncalibrated so it has a much higher gain than the X or Y axis. As a result the tilt-compensation does not work properly because of the high z-axis gain.

Is there a way to calibrate the compass with only a two axis dycome?

2 REPLIES 2
Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi @CG.1roves​ , please note that the MMC5983MA magnetometer is a Memsic product (here their support page link). Btw, there could be some hints in this design tip (DT0059), where the magnetometer (+accelerometer) calibration is explained from a theoretical point of view. As a general remark, to guarantee yourself the possibility to deploy all the available (free) ST libraries on the EC compass systems (here a dedicated user manual), I would suggest you to use the full set of ST devices for the next time... 😉 Regards

Thanks for your reply, I posted here because I am using a Nucleo-L476RG to run everything. I should have mentioned that in the original post. Thanks for the links, I will check those out. I chose to use the Memesic device because it had better specs than the STM equivalent, mainly I needed the high ODR of the memsic device.