cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Send extended ASCII characters HAL UART

OBorr.1
Associate II

Hello Community,

I'm trying to send some messages via uart using HAL_UART_Transmit. Those messages contain some extended ASCII Characters. I can´t get those characters and that's why i'm asking if someone could help me to send extended ASCII charcters.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

The function HAL_UART_Transmit() does not care about character formatting, it just send a bunch of data with 7/8/9 bits each. What you have to do now is to sort the bytes of the character set and send it one after the other so that they can be received by the recipient as your expected Extended ASCII set.

Of course you have to know what has to be transmitted, i.e. exactly how your character set is structured, because there is not only one definition of Extended ASCII, see here.

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

The function HAL_UART_Transmit() does not care about character formatting, it just send a bunch of data with 7/8/9 bits each. What you have to do now is to sort the bytes of the character set and send it one after the other so that they can be received by the recipient as your expected Extended ASCII set.

Of course you have to know what has to be transmitted, i.e. exactly how your character set is structured, because there is not only one definition of Extended ASCII, see here.

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.