cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to have a READABLE Characteristic to a BlueNRG-M2SP

PCong.1
Associate II

I try to read the data from BlueNRG-M2SP on an android application. For that with my STM32 I send to the UART a "u". On the application, I scan the services and Characteristic and I only find a write Characteristic but no read Characteristic, and I can't find in the documentation (https://www.st.com/resource/en/programming_manual/dm00294449-bluenrg-1-bluenrg-2-ble-stack-v2-x-programming-guidelines-stmicroelectronics.pdf ) how to have a read Characteristic on the custome service.0693W00000KdNpAQAV.png 

i use the code exemple BLE chat Server that can find on the BlueNRG-1 Navigator

0693W00000KdNolQAF.pngOn the code exemple i find some UUID but that doesn't work when i try to read data from the STM32

13 REPLIES 13
Winfred LU
ST Employee

Please refer to BLE_SensorDemo sample project.

As for PM2057, please check section 3.2 Services and characteristic configuration

PCong.1
Associate II

Thanks for your reply @Winfred LU, I changed the feature property to notify and read, and added some code from the sensor demo, but I can't read the data from my STM32, and now when I try to read, it automatically disconnects.0693W00000KdWc5QAF.pngThere the code where i set my service and characteristic:

gatt_db.c

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdint.h>
#include <string.h>
#include "ble_const.h" 
#include "bluenrg1_stack.h"
#include "osal.h"
#include "app_state.h"
#include "SDK_EVAL_Config.h"
#include "chat.h"

#if DEBUG
#include <stdio.h>
#define PRINTF(...) printf(__VA_ARGS__)
#else
#define PRINTF(...)
#endif

uint16_t chatServHandle, TXCharHandle, RXCharHandle;
extern uint16_t connection_handle;

/* UUIDs */
Service_UUID_t service_uuid;
Char_UUID_t char_uuid;

/*******************************************************************************
* Function Name  : Add_Chat_Service
* Description    : Add the Chat service.
* Input          : None
* Return         : Status.
*******************************************************************************/
uint8_t Add_Chat_Service(void)
{
  uint8_t ret;

/*
  UUIDs:
  D973F2E0-B19E-11E2-9E96-0800200C9A66
  D973F2E1-B19E-11E2-9E96-0800200C9A66
  D973F2E2-B19E-11E2-9E96-0800200C9A66
  */

const uint8_t uuid[16] = {0x66,0x9a,0x0c,0x20,0x00,0x08,0x96,0x9e,0xe2,0x11,0x9e,0xb1,0xe0,0xf2,0x73,0xd9};
  const uint8_t charUuidTX[16] = {0x66,0x9a,0x0c,0x20,0x00,0x08,0x96,0x9e,0xe2,0x11,0x9e,0xb1,0xe1,0xf2,0x73,0xd9};
  const uint8_t charUuidRX[16] = {0x66,0x9a,0x0c,0x20,0x00,0x08,0x96,0x9e,0xe2,0x11,0x9e,0xb1,0xe2,0xf2,0x73,0xd9};

Osal_MemCpy(&service_uuid.Service_UUID_128, uuid, 16);
  ret = aci_gatt_add_service(UUID_TYPE_128, &service_uuid, PRIMARY_SERVICE, 6, &chatServHandle); 
  if (ret != BLE_STATUS_SUCCESS) goto fail;    

Osal_MemCpy(&char_uuid.Char_UUID_128, charUuidTX, 16);
  ret =  aci_gatt_add_char(chatServHandle, UUID_TYPE_128, &char_uuid, 20, CHAR_PROP_NOTIFY|CHAR_PROP_READ, ATTR_PERMISSION_NONE, GATT_NOTIFY_READ_REQ_AND_WAIT_FOR_APPL_RESP,
                16, 1, &TXCharHandle);

Osal_MemCpy(&char_uuid.Char_UUID_128, charUuidRX, 16);
  ret =  aci_gatt_add_char(chatServHandle, UUID_TYPE_128, &char_uuid, 20, CHAR_PROP_WRITE|CHAR_PROP_WRITE_WITHOUT_RESP, ATTR_PERMISSION_NONE, GATT_NOTIFY_ATTRIBUTE_WRITE,
                16, 1, &RXCharHandle);

printf("Chat Service added.\nTX Char Handle %04X, RX Char Handle %04X\n", TXCharHandle, RXCharHandle);
  return BLE_STATUS_SUCCESS; 

fail:
  printf("Error while adding Chat service.\n");
  return BLE_STATUS_ERROR ;
}

/*******************************************************************************
* Function Name  : Attribute_Modified_CB
* Description    : Callback when RX/TX attribute handle is modified.
* Input          : Handle of the characteristic modified. Handle of the attribute
*                  modified and data written
* Return         : None.
*******************************************************************************/
void Attribute_Modified_CB(uint16_t handle, uint16_t data_length, uint8_t *att_data)
{
  if(handle == RXCharHandle + 1)
  {
    for(int i = 0; i < data_length; i++)
      printf("%c", att_data[i]);
  }
  else if(handle == TXCharHandle + 2)
  {        
    if(att_data[0] == 0x01)
      APP_FLAG_SET(NOTIFICATIONS_ENABLED);
  }
}

tBleStatus Free_Fall_Notification(void){
	uint8_t val;
	tBleStatus ret;

val = 0x01;
	ret = aci_gatt_update_char_value_ext(connection_handle, chatServHandle, TXCharHandle, 1, 6, 0, 6, &val);
	if(ret != BLE_STATUS_SUCCESS){
		PRINTF("Error while updating Free Fall characteristic: 0x%02X\n",ret);
		return BLE_STATUS_ERROR;
	}
}

tBleStatus SensorUpdate(void){
	 uint8_t buff[6];
	 tBleStatus ret;

ret = aci_gatt_update_char_value_ext(connection_handle, chatServHandle , TXCharHandle, 1, 6, 0, 6, buff);
	 if (ret != BLE_STATUS_SUCCESS) {
		PRINTF("Error while updating Sensor characteristic: 0x%02X\n", ret);
		return BLE_STATUS_ERROR;
	}
}

Winfred LU
ST Employee

Please check for the return code and events on the BlueNRG-M2 side, which will provide more clues.

My guess would be that you set the GATT_NOTIFY_READ_REQ_AND_WAIT_FOR_APPL_RESP, but in the application you did not give permission to the read command.

Try to use GATT_DONT_NOTIFY_EVENTS instead.

PCong.1
Associate II

Ok now, the application doesn't disconnect when I read but I'm still not able to read what my STM32 sends, I get a long 0x00.0693W00000Kdgu4QAB.png 

I tested with STEVAL-IDB007 which worked properly.

If you would like to read whatever was written previously, it is supposed to write to and read from the same attribute with both read and write permission.

PCong.1
Associate II

I don't want to read what has been read before, my STM32 will continuously send data and I only want to read this data that the BLE receives in real time to display it in my application.@Winfred LU​ 

I don't want to read what has been read before, my STM32 will continuously send data and I only want to read this data that the BLE receives in real time to display it in my application.@Winfred LU (ST Employee)​ 

Please clarify your environment, if i understand correctly :

1. BlueNRG-M2SP is connected to STM32 (host) as a network coprocessor over UART interface
  2. The STM32 + BlueNRG-M2SP acts as a GATT server that will be connected with an Android phone
  3. in the STM32 application, you'd like to modify some attribute thru UART/ACI, that will be read remotely by that connected Android phone

If my understanding is correct, please modify the attribute with aci_gatt_update_char_value_ext() ACI, as suggested in the sample project. In your posted code, SensorUpdate() function.

PCong.1
Associate II

my environment is simple the next

0693W00000Lvj1HQAR.png 

I managed to get the "u" on the notification (the solution was to add the end character CR+LF).

The problem is that the BLE doesn't want to read an int without an end character and I can't do like a printf because it won't read the variable a and will return 0 and the end character

int a = 10; 
HAL_UART_Transmit_IT(&hlpuart1, (a, '\r\n') , sizeof((a, '\r\n')));

0693W00000LvjhSQAR.png And what should I change in the attribute?

tBleStatus SensorUpdate(void){
	 uint8_t buff[6];
	 tBleStatus ret;

ret = aci_gatt_update_char_value_ext(connection_handle, chatServHandle , TXCharHandle, 1, 6, 0, 6, &buff);
	 if (ret != BLE_STATUS_SUCCESS) {
		PRINTF("Error while updating Sensor characteristic: 0x%02X\n", ret);
		return BLE_STATUS_ERROR;
	}
}