cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are using the VL53L0X for distance measurements. A use case is to measure the distance of a black box with high reflectivity. There we have a measurement problems when the sensor is orthogonal to the object.

PVett.2
Associate

There I have the issue that I measure a wrong distance of 0 mm (instead of 40 mm). As soon as I tilt the device (<5°) it measures reasonable values. So then it is fine.

I also tried it with the evalkit. There I see the same behaviour.

Is there a way to adjust settings of the device (i.e. in FW) to get reasonable values in the orthogonal state. What could be the reason that it is measuring the value 0?

1 REPLY 1
John E KVAM
ST Employee

There are two types of surfaces - Specular (or Mirror-like) and Lambertian (not mirror-like or "matte").

If you surface is Specular, and the photons hit it at a sharp angle they will simply bounce away.

And the sensor will never get a range unless some photons hit the surface and reflect to the sensor.

There is a really handy web site:

Ray tracing simulator: https://ricktu288.github.io/ray-optics/simulator/

This site is easy and fun to use.

Draw your use case, and it will show you where the photons go.

If you have a matte finish then have a look at the signal strength coming back.

Try to figure out why so few photons are returning.

That's the key.

Good luck,

• john

If this or any post solves your issue, please mark them as 'Accept as Solution' It really helps. And if you notice anything wrong do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'. Someone will review it.