cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VL53L3 Emitter Exclusion (Angle)Cone Problem

fafeyto
Associate II

Hi everyone,

I have problem for VL53L3CXV0DH/1. It is very difficult to describe the problem. I hope I can explain.

You know that angles of VL53L3CXV0DH is like below.0693W00000NqKe2QAF.pngI have PCB that includes VL53L3. The light will flash each time if the sensor detects it.

the sensor works fine when there isn't anything with a hole on the top of the sensor. (the maximum value of the sensor is the ceiling distance of the house.)0693W00000NqKn4QAF.png 

but; when a completely empty hole is placed on the sensor, which progresses in the direction of the angles I have mentioned above, the sensor gives ridiculous values and the sensor constantly detects it. (the maximum value of the sensor is the ceiling distance of the house.)

Video link that will facilitate the explanation: https://vimeo.com/711985416

0693W00000NqKniQAF.png 

also when a completely hollow hole is placed on the sensor, if I put a large object about 70cm above the sensor (for example my hand in video). The sensor detects motion and gives accurate results between sensor and my hand.

(The maximum value of the sensor is the distance from my hand.)

Video link that will facilitate the explanation: https://vimeo.com/711983360

0693W00000NqKo7QAF.png 

• is it crosstalk problem? What is my problem for vl53l3?
  • why am i having problems when sensor photons go through the hole and go to very far places?

1 REPLY 1
John E KVAM
ST Employee

What you are seeing is the definition of crosstalk. My guess is that if you make the hole slightly larger the light will not hit it and will not give you poor results.

The reason your hand works at 70cm is that it reflects a lot more photons than does your ceiling.

But if the number of photons from the crosstalk exceeds the number from the ceiling, then you will get a poor value.

That exclusion cone is pretty reasonable but if you don't get it centered exactly it's too small.

I'd just widen the hole a bit, and you should be good.

• john

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'