cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VL53L0X: Need to measure amplitude of echo, namely the last echo, And identify major change while scanning irregular surface with solid object.

LDamm.1
Associate

3 REPLIES 3
AlexCloned
Associate III

Interesting application. In essence these TOF sensors are dedicated to measure phase difference between emitted and received laser signal, and then determine distance to object independently of the amplitude. Difference in echo detected amplitude could impact in a better sigma but I think it is hard to determine echo amplitude with this sensors. However a major change while scanning might be detected through a change in distance measured.

How are you planning to scan object surface? Are you issuing a mechanical movement of the object or sensor? Is it a big object compared to sensor distance from it? If yes there is some hope. That could lead to a span of different distances while scanning, caused by great changes in surface deep, if enough time budget is allowed to the sensor.

Tip: with VL53L1CB you can select different regions of interest (ROI). You must observe exactitude limitations, time budget, and size of the regions too.

LDamm.1
Associate

Handheld device to locate 3-cm rounded object in grass. There are (fictional?) amplitude diagrams published for foliage scenarios. - Perhaps support from SONAR is required. - Otherwise I will investigate a RADAR approach.

AlexCloned
Associate III

Let's see what ST experts answer.

I think if you are using a sensor it is because the object is hidden among the grass. Hence, as you cannot see it neither will be able to the sensor to "see" the object. As it is emitting a near IR light which will be bouncing in the surface of the grass only. Besides we must asume this is going to work under direct sun light?