cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ultra Low Power Gesture Sensor

MLanc.1
Associate

For my application, I need to detect left swipe, right swipe, up, down, and that’s it for now. My product runs on AA batteries so power consumption is crucial. It is an “appliance�? that sits waiting on a counter top for someone to walk up to it, so we can afford a slow response sleep mode (1hz - 2hz)

Ive used the L0 extensively and also started testing the 6180x, the l5, and L1. It seems like the L5 is still going to use 11mW in low power mode which is 10x too much power. Is this still accurate when in ranging mode? If I can’t use L5, would all of the low power sensors like l1, and 6180 require 2 sensors to detect directional swipes?

1 REPLY 1
John E KVAM
ST Employee

Ouch, that's an issue.

To identify motion one has to take many ranges close together and look for differences.

But every range consumes power.

I'm afraid detection of gestures and low power applications are pretty much mutually exclusive.

the L5 gets all those zones by using more power, and unfortunately that's not going to work.

Sorry about that.

• john

If this or any post solves your issue, please mark them as 'Accept as Solution' It really helps. And if you notice anything wrong do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'. Someone will review it.