cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The VL53L1x stopped after 13 days of continuous running. It didn't detect the target. After the HW power cycle, it works fine.

SJ.11
Associate

Hi Sir,

I am testing the Pololu VL53L1x with TI Controller.

The test detects and counts the people ( normally 300 to 500 per day) in the test unit which is a 24x7 functioning unit.

I never turned off the power of the sensor. it works for continuously 13 days. after that, it fails.

Once power cycled the sensor it works well.

Is that an FW in sensor problem? or something else I have to do.

Kindly provide suggestion

3 REPLIES 3
gbm
Lead III

I would rather assume it to be the famous I2C hang problem. You may find some discussion on this and the method of recovering from I2C comm hangup on this forum.

SJ.11
Associate

@gbm​ : Thanks for the swift reply sir. Can you share any specific thread link related to I2C hang problem in VL53L1x?

John E KVAM
ST Employee

The sensor should not stop - unless you tell it to.

So it's either noise getting into the sensor and causeing a reboot or the I2C bus hanging is vastly more likely. Google "I2C bus stuck low". The problem is pretty famous.

Both these issues are due to noise - and keep in mind your long I2C traces act like an antenna.

Shielding, stronger pullups, decoupling caps, shorter traces, wider traces with more isolation - are all things to consider.

It's also possible the sensor had a power glitch. This would cause a partial reboot.

Noise on the XShut pin would do the same thing.

I'd pull that up kind of hard.

• john

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'