cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAM based ToF sensors

PJDE
Associate

Hello,

I evaluated the VL53L5CX and it works pretty well. Unfortunately I cannot use it in my application because it has a RAM based firmware (flash memory consumption and maybe boot time also).

1) Is there a way to easily find out which of the sensors are RAM / ROM based?

2) Will there also be a ROM based version of the VL53L5CX?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
John E KVAM
ST Employee

All the single-zone sensors (VL53L0, L1, L3 and L4) are ROM-based. 

And when we invented the L5, we were going to ROM it. But being able to change the code has a lot of advantages to our largest customers, and they are of course what drives the market. 

And once we figured out we didn't have to make it ROM based, we were very happy to leave it that way. 

Unless we get a compelling business case, I'm thinking we are going to stick with the downloadable firmware. 

- john

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
John E KVAM
ST Employee

All the single-zone sensors (VL53L0, L1, L3 and L4) are ROM-based. 

And when we invented the L5, we were going to ROM it. But being able to change the code has a lot of advantages to our largest customers, and they are of course what drives the market. 

And once we figured out we didn't have to make it ROM based, we were very happy to leave it that way. 

Unless we get a compelling business case, I'm thinking we are going to stick with the downloadable firmware. 

- john

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'