cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any way to read the reflectivity value from the VL53L0x? I found an API function for setting the limit on the reflectivity, but I haven’t found any way to read the actual reflectivity value.

BRowl
Associate II

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
John E KVAM
ST Employee

That's because we changed the name on you. If you want the reflectivity, read the signal strength. But that's the signal strength the sensor sees. To find the reflectivity of an object at a given distance, I recommend reading the signal strength and number of SPADS. Then compute the signal per SPAD. Sometimes I nomalize it by multiplyiing by 200. (200 is pretty much the max number of SPADs you will see.) But that's up to you.

Using Signal per SPAD you get a good indication of what you are seeing.

• john

If this or any post solves your issue, please mark them as 'Accept as Solution' It really helps. And if you notice anything wrong do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'. Someone will review it.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
John E KVAM
ST Employee

That's because we changed the name on you. If you want the reflectivity, read the signal strength. But that's the signal strength the sensor sees. To find the reflectivity of an object at a given distance, I recommend reading the signal strength and number of SPADS. Then compute the signal per SPAD. Sometimes I nomalize it by multiplyiing by 200. (200 is pretty much the max number of SPADs you will see.) But that's up to you.

Using Signal per SPAD you get a good indication of what you are seeing.

• john

If this or any post solves your issue, please mark them as 'Accept as Solution' It really helps. And if you notice anything wrong do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'. Someone will review it.