cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any way to know the basic control related commands of the VL53L5CXV0GC chip? Can't the st microelectronics customer technical support center help with this? If neither is possible, should I apply and use only the provided f/w for Eva Board?

YJu H.1
Associate

I We purchased this sensor to apply it to our own board. 

I want to know the command to control the sensor on the board, but the data sheet only provides for simple i2c communication and address, index, and data structure.

2 REPLIES 2
John E KVAM
ST Employee

At boot, the MCU downloads the 80K binary to the sensor. Although the I2C is configured to look like one is commuicating with registers, the sensor is a full-blown MCU that is doing the work.

The API is really the way to go. I imaging you could write your own code, but after that titanic struggle you would end up hating ST. It's far better to use the API.

You can use your board. Use any MCU you want (althoght I do work for ST - so I'm biased). All you need to do is implement the basic I2C read/write commands. Look a the platform.c file and adjust for your MCU.

Download STSW-IMG023

Ultra Lite Driver (ULD) for VL53L5CX multi-zone sensor to get started.

• john

If this or any post solves your issue, please mark them as 'Accept as Solution' It really helps. And if you notice anything wrong do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'. Someone will review it.

Hello John,

what is about the mentioned commands? It is really hard, even for me as an SW developer with 10 years of experience, to understand or figure out the needed commands. Don´t you have any kind of table(s) with documantation(s) of those commands?

I am using the ULD and it is working, but how do I know, that I can not improve the data any more?

It would be very helpful to get an idea.

Werner