cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I wish to use the VL6180 within a pressurised chamber. What pressure can the package withstand? Max pressure would be ~15bar.

CHand.2
Associate II

2 REPLIES 2
John E KVAM
ST Employee

I wouldn't do it that way. The sensor is not a solid block of plastic and silicon. It's a bit of silicon with a cap over it and it contains air.

There is a small hole to keep it from exploding during the reflow process, but I would not count on that in your application.

Is there any way to create a window into your chamber and put the sensor on the outside?

The sensor really needs a coverglass to keep the elements from fowling the raw, exposed silicon.

By having the sensor look through a window of some sort, you protect the sensor and the same time as solving your pressure problem.

• john

If this or any post solves your issue, please mark them as 'Accept as Solution' It really helps. And if you notice anything wrong do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'. Someone will review it.
CHand.2
Associate II

Thanks for the reply. I thought that might be the case. Having a window in the pressure vessel was plan B.

Cheers

Chris