cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dear, Can you guarantee me that the detection distance of the VL6180 proximity sensors range from 0 to 600mm ? Thanks, Best regards

BHerv.1
Associate

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
John E KVAM
ST Employee

Unfortunately we cannot guarentee that. 60cm is at the very limit of what the VL6180 can do.

The solution is to do what I do when playing golf. Just over club it.

Choose a sensor that can range much farther. I'd suggest the VL53L4CD. It's our least expensive sensor and it can see people to 1.3M.

If you target is small, or particularly non-reflective you might not see it, but at 60cm, the VL53L4CD is a very good choice.

(The code is easy as well.)

• john

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Welcome, @BHerv.1​, to the community!

Such a general guarantee is neither mentioned in the data sheet of the VL6180, nor can or will anyone provide it, because the range depends on many factors. These include internal factors such as the scaling factor (see data sheet), as well as external factors such as interference from sunlight.

Does it answer your question?

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
John E KVAM
ST Employee

Unfortunately we cannot guarentee that. 60cm is at the very limit of what the VL6180 can do.

The solution is to do what I do when playing golf. Just over club it.

Choose a sensor that can range much farther. I'd suggest the VL53L4CD. It's our least expensive sensor and it can see people to 1.3M.

If you target is small, or particularly non-reflective you might not see it, but at 60cm, the VL53L4CD is a very good choice.

(The code is easy as well.)

• john

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'