cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to program STEVAL-BCN002V1B?

DDi L.1
Associate

Hello! Thank you in advance for your help =)

I've just bought a STEVAL-BCN002V1B (BlueNRG - Tile), with the host board to Flash and debug, and i would like to know how i can easily program it.

0693W000005BQFiQAO.jpg 

Questions:

1. I've found this video where a STEVAL-IDB007V1 is programed using the BlueNRG - 1 navigator. Is there anything similar for my board? If yes, could you please introduce me to the first steps?
  2. How can i access examples and send them to the board? I would be very happy if i could do anything similar to this Link
  3. What is STSW-BLUETILE-DK 1.3.0? Is it usefull for my porpuse? Is there any tutorial avaiable?
  4. My ultimate goal would be send/receive information from a cellphone with my BlueNRG - Tile and transmit this via I2C (or UART, or SPI) to a Raspberry Pi. Any idea how this can be done?

0693W000005BQHAQA4.png 

I'm sorry for asking so many questions, but i can't find this answers anywhere.

Best Regards,

Danilo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi Danilo @DDi L.1​ ,

If you want to create your own firmware and upload it on the Bluecoin, please note that the STEVAL-BCN002V1B device kit contains the STEVAL-BCN002V1D programming board (the N.2 in the first picture you shared): the usual way to program the sensor board (the STEVAL-BCN002V1 one, N.1, the Bluetile) is to connect the JTAG/SWD for Nucleo ST-LINK of the STEVAL-BCN002V1D to an STLINK (V2 or V3) and to the PC and follow the standard indication using for example the STM32 CubeProgrammer free IDE. You can also directly connect the STLINK-V3 to the Sensor module (STEVAL-BCN002V1), as described in the Databrief, p.2. This standard procedure is described for example HERE.

There is another way to program the Bluetile (without additional hardware such as the STLINK V3 module), it is called UART Bootloader and this is described in this presentation, p. 62: you can simply download the .bin file (i.e. the executable file) on the uC of the Bluetile using the BlueNRG-1_2 Flasher Utility, described here.

To go more specifically in the detail of your questions:

>> How can i access examples and send them to the board?

I should have (tried to) answer to this question in the above procedure description.

>> What is STSW-BLUETILE-DK 1.3.0? Is it useful for my purpose? Is there any tutorial available?

Yes, it is the specific package for the . You can find lot of details on how to use it always in this (long) presentation.

>> My ultimate goal would be send/receive information from a cellphone with my BlueNRG - Tile and transmit this via I2C (or UART, or SPI) to a Raspberry Pi. Any idea how this can be done?

For the connection between the STEVAL-BCN002V1 and the smartphone, you can simply download the ST BLE Sensor app and connect with your Bluetile.

For the connection between the STM32 on the Bluecoin and your Raspberry, this could be a little more complicated... while for the streaming of the data on USB (to a PC) you can simply use the and use, for example, an hyper-terminal emulator (V-COM reader such as Tera Term) to print the data at screen.

If however you want to use for example the Python programming language for the both programming the STM32 and for managing the data streaming from the sensor board, I suggest to refer to this tool: MicroPython for STM32. Browsing this page, you should find examples on Github that can run on the STM32Lx family (even if -unfortunately- there are no examples perfectly matching the Bluecoin hardware configuration, i.e. the STM32L151 uC).

Hope this long answer could help you to go deep in this application topic.

-Eleon

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi Danilo @DDi L.1​ ,

If you want to create your own firmware and upload it on the Bluecoin, please note that the STEVAL-BCN002V1B device kit contains the STEVAL-BCN002V1D programming board (the N.2 in the first picture you shared): the usual way to program the sensor board (the STEVAL-BCN002V1 one, N.1, the Bluetile) is to connect the JTAG/SWD for Nucleo ST-LINK of the STEVAL-BCN002V1D to an STLINK (V2 or V3) and to the PC and follow the standard indication using for example the STM32 CubeProgrammer free IDE. You can also directly connect the STLINK-V3 to the Sensor module (STEVAL-BCN002V1), as described in the Databrief, p.2. This standard procedure is described for example HERE.

There is another way to program the Bluetile (without additional hardware such as the STLINK V3 module), it is called UART Bootloader and this is described in this presentation, p. 62: you can simply download the .bin file (i.e. the executable file) on the uC of the Bluetile using the BlueNRG-1_2 Flasher Utility, described here.

To go more specifically in the detail of your questions:

>> How can i access examples and send them to the board?

I should have (tried to) answer to this question in the above procedure description.

>> What is STSW-BLUETILE-DK 1.3.0? Is it useful for my purpose? Is there any tutorial available?

Yes, it is the specific package for the . You can find lot of details on how to use it always in this (long) presentation.

>> My ultimate goal would be send/receive information from a cellphone with my BlueNRG - Tile and transmit this via I2C (or UART, or SPI) to a Raspberry Pi. Any idea how this can be done?

For the connection between the STEVAL-BCN002V1 and the smartphone, you can simply download the ST BLE Sensor app and connect with your Bluetile.

For the connection between the STM32 on the Bluecoin and your Raspberry, this could be a little more complicated... while for the streaming of the data on USB (to a PC) you can simply use the and use, for example, an hyper-terminal emulator (V-COM reader such as Tera Term) to print the data at screen.

If however you want to use for example the Python programming language for the both programming the STM32 and for managing the data streaming from the sensor board, I suggest to refer to this tool: MicroPython for STM32. Browsing this page, you should find examples on Github that can run on the STM32Lx family (even if -unfortunately- there are no examples perfectly matching the Bluecoin hardware configuration, i.e. the STM32L151 uC).

Hope this long answer could help you to go deep in this application topic.

-Eleon

Thank you very much for the fantastic and fast reply! I'll look into these materials and see what i can get 🙂