cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I use my own external loader for debugging in STM32CubeIDE?

tarasov.alex.m
Associate III

I am using eMMC memory with a STM32F769NI controller. For programming this eMMC I've written an external loader in STM32CubeIDE. My loader works fine with STM32CubePogrammer, but I also want to be able to debug my application from CubeIDE. How can I tell IDE to use my loader? 

There is a setting "External Loader" in "Debug Cofigurations", but it does not allow you to select your own file, it only has a button "Scan", that lets you choose an external loader from a drop-down list. I don't know how to add new loaders to that list. Does anyone have an idea how to do that?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for such quick response!

You are a bit wrong, but that information helped me to find the right location. Actually CubeIDE looks for loaders here:

C:\ST\STM32CubeIDE_1.3.0\STM32CubeIDE\plugins\com.st.stm32cube.ide.mcu.externaltools.cubeprogrammer.win32_1.3.0.202002181050\tools\bin\ExternalLoader\

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Tilen MAJERLE
ST Employee

@tarasov.alex.m​ ,

put your loader into CubeIDE loaders folder. On version 1.3 location is:

C:\ST\STM32CubeIDE_1.3.0\STM32CubeIDE\plugins\com.st.stm32cube.ide.mcu.externaltools.cubeprogrammer.win32_1.3.0.202002181050\tools\bin\ExternalLoader\

Edit: Corrected path.

Thanks for such quick response!

You are a bit wrong, but that information helped me to find the right location. Actually CubeIDE looks for loaders here:

Can the CubeIDE team investigate having a central location independent of the cubeprogrammer plugin folder to store custom memory loaders? It bothers me that I have to look up this question, find the ridiculously long path, and copy over all my custom loaders every few months when updating software.