cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EEPROM Emulation

hassansarfraz478
Associate
Posted on June 26, 2016 at 11:59

Can we interface external EEPROM with STM32f427 ? if yes can anyone please refer me some application note for STM32F427.

I found AN3969 but it is for STM32f40x/stm32f41x and i need for STM32F427.

4 REPLIES 4
Posted on June 26, 2016 at 17:17

This is like saying you can't buy a Red car because the colours of the ones in the brochure are in everything except Red.

How do you think these STM32's are materially different in function that it needs a re-explanation for your specific part?

External parts would use the FSMC/FMC for parallel parts, or I2C/SPI for serial ones. External != Emulation. Review the Reference Manual

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
hassansarfraz478
Associate
Posted on June 26, 2016 at 19:37

thanks clive you was really helpfull                                                                                            Actually i want to interface STM32F427 with external EEPROM but in FMC/FSMC there is only option for NOR Flash, SRAM, NAND Flash, PC Card and SDRAM

and no option available for EEPROM or ROM. Is EEPROM can be interfaced externally ?

Posted on June 26, 2016 at 20:27

NOR, NAND, or RAM are more expressions of the signalling/timing of the bus. ROM would be like a RAM you can't write, and don't need to wire a -WR signal

You would need to look at the Data Manuals for the EEPROM devices you have in mind, and review the signalling required with respect to the functionality expressed in the FSMC section of the STM32 Reference Manual.

Review also in the context of how you would attach external memories to a CPU of any sort from the last several decades. This would seem to be a staple of any CPU Architecture type course and supporting texts. Discuss with your project supervisor or boss/manager.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
jpeacock
Associate II
Posted on June 27, 2016 at 04:47

FMC/FSMC is not the only option to interface an EEPROM.  There are numerous parts which use SPI or I2C.  You might find an SPI serial EEPROM much easier to connect and program.

For a parallel EEPROM use the same setup as NOR flash.  The only real difference in terms of programming is the granularity, EEPROM is byte or word level erase rather than block. 

Jack Peacock