jgoril
Associate II
Posted on April 17, 2008 at 06:37

debug/readout protection

6 REPLIES 6
jgoril
Associate II
Posted on May 21, 2007 at 13:36

Hi. At what moment debug/readout protection becomes valid (takes effect)? Is it immediately after writing the appropriate register or some additional action is needed (e.g. device reset)? Thanks for the answer.

najoua
Associate II
Posted on May 21, 2007 at 14:41

Hi opijozko,

Yes, the debug/readout protection becomes valid immediately after writing the appropriate register.

Regards,

Najoua.

alexandre2399
Associate II
Posted on April 15, 2008 at 08:33

Hello,

I looking for readout protection of my code. Im using a STR712, IDEalist and the wiggler to program it. Usually I just tick a box to readout protect the code, but for the ARM it looks like it is not that easy. Could someone tell me the easiest way to protect my code ?

Regards,

Alex

PS: The hardware is done and can't be changed.

jgoril
Associate II
Posted on April 15, 2008 at 11:46

Hi alexandre.o

I don't know the IDEalist and it's features. However, readout protection feature is implemented for our universal device programmers (JTAG interface is used for in-situ programming). May be, you will find them useful. See my homepage for BeeProg+ 🙂

alexandre2399
Associate II
Posted on April 15, 2008 at 12:59

Thanks for your help opijozko.

I've been looking on your software, it is written that if I Debug/Readout protect it, I wont be able to access to my device again. But what I am looking for is to be able to program/erase only but still be able to program it from the JTAG Wriggler. Does the ARM has this possibility ?

Thanks,

Alex

jgoril
Associate II
Posted on April 17, 2008 at 06:37

Hello alexandre.o.

After enabling debug/readout protection, JTAG port is disabled internally in device logic. It is not possible to use that interface, not regarding the tool or STR7xx device.

However, you can still assign a part of flash memory for your own IAP bootloader that communicates e.g. via UART. Then you can use a technique described in STR7 Family Flash Programming Reference Manual for treating the debug/readout protection enabling/disabling.

I'm afraid, it is the only way to solve your problem using STR71x device.

For STR73x - the situation is similar. But I didn't test the system memory boot mode for this device. May be, there is some way how to erase flash and disable the protection.

For STR75x there is a built-in bootloader for system memory boot mode. This bootloader enables you to erase flash and disable the protection, it communicates also via UART.

Regards

Jozef