cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What MC is this? And how to transfer code to another chip?

AOlth
Associate

The image below, is of a SNES Classic (Super Nintendo Classic) controller's PCB.

I can't seem to find out exactly what MC its using, all it really says is STM8mhz.

On LCSC and digikey, they don't even have any 8mhz STM8 MCs, only 16 and 24mhz.

This is leading me to believe it may be a custom MC, designed specifically for Nintendo.

I would really like to create my own controller for the system.

My plan was to download the HEX (I'm new to STM, coming over from the AVR side, so please excuse me if HEX is not the correct terminology), and upload it to another STM8. I just have my doubts it will work if its not the exact same chip.

Am I correct in thinking that the HEX file from this MC, would not work in a similar STM8?

I was hoping to load it on a STM8S103F3P6, as I have some development boards on the way.

Do you think I would be able to load its HEX onto one of those?

Thanks

0690X000006D3sSQAS.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Uwe Bonnes
Principal III

Those chip normally have a custom rom or custom flash image with read out protection. Search google for "stm8mhz" and some hits around the playstation appear. Not promising on first look.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Uwe Bonnes
Principal III

Those chip normally have a custom rom or custom flash image with read out protection. Search google for "stm8mhz" and some hits around the playstation appear. Not promising on first look.

Ahh ok, didn't even think of read protection.

Thanks