Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1565[PostContent]

Szymon PANECKI
Senior III
Posted on August 02, 2017 at 15:45

Title Document: [STM8S001J3] Reference design for 8-pin STM8

The original post was too long to process during our migration. Please click on the attachment to read the original post.
5 REPLIES 5
Philipp Krause
Senior II
Posted on September 29, 2017 at 22:26

I wrote two simple tutorials for the STM8S001 using the Reference design board:

http://www.colecovision.eu/stm8/STM8S001J3%20Reference%20LED.shtml

http://www.colecovision.eu/stm8/STM8S001J3%20Reference%20Serial.shtml

Philipp

Posted on September 30, 2017 at 11:59

Hi Philipp,

Great job. Thanks for sharing!

Regards

Szymon

Former Member
Associate II
Posted on November 12, 2017 at 18:20

Is the MCU board available for purchase?

For prototypes we assembled similar using commercial 8-SOIC to DIP PCBs.0690X00000604DmQAI.jpg

Which part number do you suggest for C1 (VCAP)? (The ESR for the capacitor on the STM8S Discovey board seems out of spec from the ESR limit in the Datasheet.)

Terrence Holm

Burnaby, B.C. Canada

Posted on November 12, 2017 at 21:08

Hello Terrence,

Thank you for your interest in STM8S001 MCU. Regarding your questions:

1. Is the MCU board available for purchase?

Rutronik is a partner of ST for this evaluation kit. Here is a link to landing page of evalaution kit on Rutronik's web page:

https://www.rutronik.com/suppliers/st/stm8s001/

. However if you don't need a full evaluation kit and module with MCU will be enough for you, please send me a message with your postal address and I will be glad to send you one MCU module.

2. Which part number do you suggest for C1 (VCAP)? (The ESR for the capacitor on the STM8S Discovey board seems out of spec from the ESR limit in the Datasheet.)

I confirm that capacitor, which is used on Discovery board is not matching all requirements mentioned in datasheet. I am sorry for this, as I guess it is confusing and for sure misleading.

Regarding VCAP selection, here are few hints:

• the minimum capacitance is 470nF, whatever the temperature. Therefore, depending on the capacitor type, it's better to select higher value, for example 680nF or 1uF.
  • the maximum ESR/ESL specified in datasheet is for 1MHz frequency. We do not need to meet this requirement over all the frequency spectrum. Most of ceramic capacitors meet ESR requirement at 1MHz.
  • ST doesn'trecommend any sales type forVCAP, as there are wide range of requirements from customers (package size etc.). Most of our customers use ceramic capacitors (rather than tantalum capacitors) for VCAP. One of the approved sales type is Murata GRM188R61C105K.

Kind regards

Szymon

Roy Sutton
Associate II
Posted on November 27, 2017 at 21:53

I am seriously interested in all of the STM8S series and bought most of the UK/European stock of the 001. I am not being critical but I must comment on the soldering: perhaps 10 times too much on the capacitors, the shiny solderballs should be a small rising filet. Even worse is the mass of solder that does not even connect to the .1 DIP pins. I would recommend using a flux pen on every pin, pad and component and always using 60/40 Ersin Multicore Solder. Bad solder joints will eventually cause future problems.