cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to install STLinkUpgrade.jar from STSW-LINK007 so it can be found by STM32CubeProgrammer?

JUrba.2
Associate II

When I clicked 'Firmware Upgrade' for my STLink, STM32CubeProgrammer complained that 'STLinkUpgrade.jar Not Found'. I found STLinkUpgrade.jar in STSW-LINK007:

https://www.st.com/en/development-tools/stsw-link007.html

But neither STM32CubeProgrammer nor STSW-LINK007 has any instructions about how install or place STLinkUpgrade.jar so that it can be found by STM32CubeProgrammer.

I managed to perform the update by installing a separate Java runtime environment and running the utility separately, but would like to know how to set it up correctly in STM32CubeProgrammer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Since version 2.6.0 STM32CubeProgrammer uses its own Java RTE, so a separate Java installation is no longer required and is ignored anyway.

The STLinkUpgrade.jar will usually be installed together with STM32CubeProgrammer and should be located in %programfiles%\STMicroelectronics\STM32Cube\STM32CubeProgrammer\Drivers\FirmwareUpgrade

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Since version 2.6.0 STM32CubeProgrammer uses its own Java RTE, so a separate Java installation is no longer required and is ignored anyway.

The STLinkUpgrade.jar will usually be installed together with STM32CubeProgrammer and should be located in %programfiles%\STMicroelectronics\STM32Cube\STM32CubeProgrammer\Drivers\FirmwareUpgrade

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
Jjc.1
Associate II

Hello.

I've tried, today, to launch my new upload and installation of CubeProgrammer on Linux OS, Ubuntu 20.04.

I've made all indications for install ( include rules ...) but software say : Error : Old ST-LINK firware version. Curious ... uploaded him today !

So, i've completed installation with en.stm32cubeprg-lin_v2-7-0.zip witch contain STLinkUpgrade.jar ( uploaded today ...)

On Linux, i've finded folder .../STMicroelectronics/STM32Cube/STM32CubeProgrammer/ witch don't have FirmwareUpgrade sub-folder.

I've tried to copy STLinkUpgrade.jar in .../STMicroelectronics/STM32Cube/STM32CubeProgrammer/ folder -> problem stay.

i've created .../STMicroelectronics/STM32Cube/STM32CubeProgrammer/FirmwareUpgrade folder and copy STLinkUpgrade.jar inside -> problem stay.

Where can i copy STLinkUpgrade.jar for permit CubeProgrammer work ?

Thank you.

JUrba.2
Associate II

@Jjc.1​ What worked for me was to run STLinkUpgrade.jar on its own, outside of STM32CubeProgrammer.

sudo apt install default-jre

java -jar STLinkUpgrade.jar

Jjc.1
Associate II

Thank you, JUrba.2.

In fact, the global system for using STM32Cube is very heavy. If i understand, STM32Cube in graphic mode must have Java ( i don't like !) and Eclipse ( i use Code::blocks IDE for PC and AVR sofwares !). I don't know if i continue install of STM32Cube, which seems excellent ... but very exigent.

Cezar
Associate II

@Peter BENSCH​  Something is wrong with the Linux installer (v2.7.0) which doesn't copy the whole Drivers folder (it has only the rules subfolder) and the upgrade doesn't work:

https://i.imgur.com/FwhVvZf.png

https://i.imgur.com/x4OBXiQ.png

where as the Windows does:

https://i.imgur.com/0yjhGaX.png

If I copy the whole Drivers folder from an Windows machine to a Linux one the STLinkUpgrade would work:

https://i.imgur.com/NVLiI1p.png

Sushant
Associate

Hello Enthusiasts,

With reference to the above discussions, the solution is well defined for Windows installation. thanks to @Peter BENSCH​.

Today, while working with Cubeprogrammer on Linux, I also faced the same issue of STLink Firmware upgrade,

Following the details mentioned above, and referring to the packages mentioned here (RN0093 - Firmware upgrade for ST-LINK), I was able to resolve the issue of "STLinkUpgrade.jar Not Found"

Here are my steps on how I resolved it.

Assumption: STM32CubeProgrammer is working as usual with STM32 Microcontroller programming

1. Download the package from STSW-LINK007
  2. Extract the package
  3. Navigate to '.../stsw-link007/AllPlatforms/StlinkRulesFilesForLinux'
  4. Run the commands mentioned in 'readme.txt'
    1. for Ubuntu 20.04 x64, I have executed 'sudo dpkg -i st-stlink-udev-rules-1.0.3-1-linux-all.deb'
  5. Navigate to '.../STMicroelectronics/STM32Cube/STM32CubeProgrammer/Drivers'
  6. Create a directory 'FirmwareUpgrade'
  7. Copy the folders 'native' and 'STLinkUpgrade.jar' from the downloaded folder '.../stsw-link007/AllPlatforms' to '.../STMicroelectronics/STM32Cube/STM32CubeProgrammer/Drivers/FirmwareUpgrade'
  8. Run the STM32CubeProgrammer as usual, and now the STLink Firmware upgrade is accessible from the STM32Cubeprogrammer
Jjc.1
Associate II

Hello, Cesar et Sushant.

I return with you later because i would have special ( and long !) time to test yours methods.

Cesar : i dont have a PC with windows. Soo, i can't test. But, i see, on yours pictures, that you have stsw-link009_v3. Mine, uploaded today, is stsw-link007 !!!

Sushant : Don't work, sorry. After test your method, i've tried many options to put files in folder .../FirmwareUpgrade but without success.

I use chinese ST-link v2 key that work fine with other softwares ...

Thank you for previous answers.

APuht
Associate II

For Ubuntu:

1. Go to the Drivers folder: / home / user / STMicroelectronics / STM32Cube / STM32CubeProgrammer / Drivers /

2. Create the FirmwareUpgrade folder there

3. Copy the content there from: / stsw-link007 / AllPlatforms /

The FirmwareUpgrade folder should contain the following folders: Native, StlinkRulesFilesForLinux and the STLinkUpgrade.jar file