cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot program with geniune ST Link/V2

SSmit.13
Senior

Hi

I have been using Atollic for years , with the cheap stlink programmers from AliExpress. I havent had any issues, but just recently updated to STM32IDECube (V1.13.0) , and STM32CubeProgrammer (V2.14.0) . I purchased an original ST32Link-V2 , but unfortunately doesn't connect through either STM32CubeProgrammer  or STM32IDECube. The cheap version works on STM32CubeProgrammer but not STM32IDECube , comes up "error No ST-Link Detected " (same error STM32IDECube for genuine).  I am using pins:

SWDIO , SWCLK , GND . I also tried the Reset line on the genuine , but still error. On STM32IDECube  I get "No ST-Link Detected.." on both the cheap and genuine one. On the STM32CubeProgrammer  works as expected with the cheap one, with the genuine one I get error DEV_TARGET_HELD_UNDER_RESET if I attach the reset line, and no STM target found error without it. I have the RST line on the processor pulled up with external 10k, and BOOT0 pin pulled low with 10k. I got my hands on another genuine programmer and just the same, so know the new one works.

Regarding the ST-Link configuration on the STM32Programmer, I have tried all the possibilities without any luck.

Any help would be great,

Thanks

Scott

8 REPLIES 8
TDK
Guru

> I purchased an original ST32Link-V2 , but unfortunately doesn't connect through either STM32CubeProgrammer  or STM32IDECube.

Does it show up in the device manager?

Can you link to the exact thing you bought? If it's genuine, "ST32Link-V2" contains at least two typos.

> with the genuine one I get error DEV_TARGET_HELD_UNDER_RESET if I attach the reset line, and no STM target found error without it

Is the target chip powered?

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Hi

Yes, I remove the cheap one when I use the genuine one. I tried un-installing the drivers , then only inserted the genuine when re-installing the drivers.

There is power to the device , I checked that. The cheap board programs it using atollic.

Cheers

Scott

No ST-LINK connected tends to be a driver level issue, not a target board one.

Check that the ST-LINK is suitably visible within Device Manager. Check that no other application / tool has a currently open context with the pod. Check on corporate systems that USB MSC are permitted, and you have suitable rights to install drivers, etc.

There's a lot of boot-leg / counterfeit product out there claiming to be an ST-LINK/V2, ones that look very similar, and have fake packaging.

If the ST-LINK can't connect with the Target MCU that can be for a host of reasons. On custom boards start by assuming the circuit is wrong, or not powered properly. Start with the VDDA connections, and check what NRST is doing. If code on the MCU changes the pin configurations, or disables the debug unit, or powers down, the connection is not going to be viable. The "connect under reset", or with BOOT0 HIGH, are methods of stopping errant USER CODE from interfering with connection methods.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

With a multimeter, verify VDD is present and NRST is high when the genuine device is attached. The program is telling you NRST is low, so check it.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Hi

I purchased it from Farnell, so I expect its genuine. What is strange is that the cheap version works on Atollic, and STM32CubeProgrammer (Not the new IDE), on the same board I have test the genuine one. Using the cheap one, I have erased the memory, so there is no code running in the target. I then switch over to the genuine one (unplug the cheap one). I can read the serial number and update the firmware of the genuine one, so I am assuming the communication to/from it is fine. If the new IDE worked with the cheap one, I would just use that.  If the target board always works with the cheap one, I assume the board is fine ?

Hi

The VDD and NRST is high, I noticed the NRST connection was off. But after placing it back on, dont get that error, I get ST-Link not found. But strange that the cheap board works on the same board using the new STM32CubeProgrammer, Atollic, but not the IDE. So I am assuming the board is fine, or wouldnt work all the time with the cheep one

SSmit.13
Senior

Hi

I started a new thread , as I carried out a logic analyser test on the two and thought it would be best to start a new thread on the difference.

That thread... https://community.st.com/t5/stm32cubeprogrammer-mcu/logic-analyser-shows-difference-between-genuine-not/td-p/578895

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..