cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CubeMonitor not Plotting variables ? variable listed are all grayed out

Oahme.1
Associate III

hello ,

I cannot seem to plot any variables when initiating start acquisition , I am using the StLink v2 mini programmer ,even blinked the programmers led using STM32CubeMonitor's interface to double check connections ,using stm32cubeide as my IDE . What I noticed is that my listed variables seem to be grayed out for some reason as I have not come across this problem in tutorials and nobody seems to even address that this issue could arise , In my stm32cubeMx project I used Serial wire as Debug instead of Trace Asynchronous SW . Can someone please point out my mistake ? below is the project snapshot with grayed out variables 0693W00000aH8eMQAS.png

8 REPLIES 8
KnarfB
Principal III

The .elf is outdated. Click the pen icon right to the .elf for updating.

hth

KnarfB

Oahme.1
Associate III

Thanks ,@KnarfB but I've tried that , it still grayed out any other idea ?

Oahme.1
Associate III

Also could it be a problem with stm32f401 blackpill that im using ?

Don't think so. Because the .elf on your host will be parsed.

Does it work, did you deploy and start the dashboard. Looks like it is always grayed-out in this view.

KnarfB

Oahme.1
Associate III

Yes Sir , I did deploy it , and used the dashboard , as I said nothing on the plot , then I checked these variable list and its grayed out , so this must be the cause , any other way I can help you better troubleshoot this ? Im trying to plot accelerometer readings .

KnarfB
Principal III

Grayed-out is not a show stopper. Have the same here. Depends on which of the 2 myVariables you are clicking. The first has the box with the .elf and you selct in the .elf window. The second has the variables not grayed-out. Even with all this, it works fine for me, I see real 6-channel ADC data in my project.

The Documentation is terse about that. If you selct the help "book" icon, it says:

Variable list array

The Variable list summarizes the list of variables in the scope of this "variables" group node. It can filled by either selecting an Executable configuration (refer above) or by manually adding some custom variables

hth

KnarfB

Oahme.1
Associate III

Exactly , your right theirs not much to it .

stephane.legargeant
ST Employee

Hello

About the grayed variable :

The variables are grayed because they are imported from the symbol file (ADXL_Sensor.elf). If you add manually variable with the "+ Add custom variable" button, the variable will be editable.

When the variable are imported from the symbol file, the name address and type are defined in the symbol file, and should not be modified.

When user need to customize a variable, the variable should not be ticked in the list of variable imported from executable file, but added manually with the "+ Add custom variable" .

So the grey is not an issue and is normal behavior.

Points to check

• does the address of variable match with the address of the target ? symbol file must the aligned with the binary flashed in the target. check can be done with IDE in debug mode : the variable should have the same address in the IDE and STM32CubeMonitor.
  • Is there some error message on the debug1 node ? To check, click on the right square to activate the log and check the "debug message" tab.
  • Add "debug" node or "show notification" on the error output of "acq in" and "processing" node.
  • In the dashboard, when the variable are not aligned there is usually something displayed (a flat line or random). If there is nothing traced, it may be that data are not received from the probe. To check it, set the acquisition rate to a low speed (1Hz) and put "debug" node on the output of "acq in" and "processing" node. Some data should be visible to confirm if data are coming or not.
  • (Obviously The SWD must be connected properly, but as I see the green dot on the picture with the STM32 name, it seems ok)

Let us know the result of your tests : if you solve the problem, it will be helpful to know how, and if it is not solved, it will give us some hints to help.

Stephane