cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STMCubeIDE 1.6.1 not opening on MacOS 10.15.7

MKuciara
Associate II

it just gets stuck on this screen forever.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Julien D
ST Employee

You're actually not the 1st customer who face such dead lock during startup. TBH it's so sporadic that we never reproduced internally, complicating the analysis.

If you kept the old workspace may I ask you some time to provide us with useful logs/traces in order to help understanding the issue?

1) All the *.log files from the workspace metadata folder: <workspace>/.metadata/

2) The java stack trace when the hang happen. Don't hesitate to wait a bit to be sure that the trace well captures the lock. From a Terminal:

$ ps aux | grep -i stm32cubeide
accountid <PID> 0.0 2.7 10043516 897036 ?? S 3:31PM 1:03.01 /Applications/STM32CubeIDE.app/Contents/MacOS/stm32cubeide
$ jstack    <PID> > stm32cubeide_jstack.txt
$ jstack -l <PID> > stm32cubeide_jstack_locks.txt

Replace <PID> by the number returned by 1st command.

Then attach stm32cubeide_jstack_locks.txt and stm32cubeide_jstack.txt to this thread.

jstack is only available if a JDK is already installed...

If not a Java 11 JDK can be downloaded from here https://adoptopenjdk.net/releases.html

Thanks by advance for your precious time 👍

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Cartu38 OpenDev
Lead II

What happens if new session asking for brand new workspace location ?​

thank you @Cartu38 OpenDev​, making a new workspace helped.... the IDE opens now. I guess something is corrupt in the original workspace.

Cartu38 OpenDev
Lead II

For my info looking for corruption root source ... do you exit a previous session abnormaly (crash or kill usage ?). If yes was .ioc editor open at that time ?

Thanks to mark such post as answered helping so community to dig shortly into valuable posts.​

yes, I was starting a new project and the IDE just got hung up in the middle of downloading some files from ST I think.... either way, it got stuck so I had to force quite.

Julien D
ST Employee

You're actually not the 1st customer who face such dead lock during startup. TBH it's so sporadic that we never reproduced internally, complicating the analysis.

If you kept the old workspace may I ask you some time to provide us with useful logs/traces in order to help understanding the issue?

1) All the *.log files from the workspace metadata folder: <workspace>/.metadata/

2) The java stack trace when the hang happen. Don't hesitate to wait a bit to be sure that the trace well captures the lock. From a Terminal:

$ ps aux | grep -i stm32cubeide
accountid <PID> 0.0 2.7 10043516 897036 ?? S 3:31PM 1:03.01 /Applications/STM32CubeIDE.app/Contents/MacOS/stm32cubeide
$ jstack    <PID> > stm32cubeide_jstack.txt
$ jstack -l <PID> > stm32cubeide_jstack_locks.txt

Replace <PID> by the number returned by 1st command.

Then attach stm32cubeide_jstack_locks.txt and stm32cubeide_jstack.txt to this thread.

jstack is only available if a JDK is already installed...

If not a Java 11 JDK can be downloaded from here https://adoptopenjdk.net/releases.html

Thanks by advance for your precious time 👍

Julien D
ST Employee

Thanks MKuciara for you logs files, their analysis allowed to identify the root cause.

Hopefully it could be fixed for next release.

Waiting for this the workaround described by @Cartu38 OpenDev​  stays fully valid.

Thanks for your contribution helping to make STM32CubeIDE more robust 👍

Thank you @Julien D_OEHAUDT​, it's been great working with you to provide the diagnostic files. I learned a lot.

Thank you!