cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32cubeIDE keeps crashing?

deep_rune
Associate III

Title says it all really. this has happened four times in the last hour, all when I've been in debug mode. I just click with the mouse on something and -blink- program vanishes without a trace.

does anyone experience the same thing? Is there a fix?

I realise this is an ST forum, but for the benefit of a beginner, is cubeIDE a crappy piece of software?

6 REPLIES 6
hansd56
Senior II

Hi, You might have to be a bit more specific what you are doing and not just discard a piece of software straight away.

I have used the latest version in Windows 10 with CubeMX open as a tab using STM32F405. I was going forth and back between CubeMX, generating code, building, downloading and debugging (J-Link EDU) without it crashing the whole day. The HAL modules used where SPI half duplex, ADC-DMA, Timer PWM, Timer IC.

If you can give us more information maybe somebody can look into it.

deep_rune
Associate III

it happens when I'm debugging and im clicking through each line step by step, I've got a watch on some variable and I click on that variable because I find it useful to see the binary display like 001101101 and it regularly crashes - i've had to reload the program 5 times in the last 30 minutes. It may happen in other contexts, but this that's what im doing at the moment.

I don't usually have a problem with the learning curve of software, but this is happening so often that it's pretty much unusable

Julien D
ST Employee

Hi PGoul,

This looks like a JRE crash.

Could you share your hs_err*.log files normally placed in the STM32CubeIDE install location?

Otherwise restart STM32CubeIDE using stm32cubeidec.exe instead of the standard launcher. This may also provide more useful details about the crash.

deep_rune
Associate III

Hi, thanks for your reply. I found the log files, attached

deep_rune
Associate III

it seems i can only upload one at a time, if you need more let me know

Julien D
ST Employee

#

# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:

#

# EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x00007ff88646e568, pid=20128, tid=0x0000000000002f74

#

# JRE version: OpenJDK Runtime Environment (8.0_242-b08) (build 1.8.0_242-b08)

# Java VM: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (25.242-b08 mixed mode windows-amd64 compressed oops)

# Problematic frame:

# C [MSCTF.dll+0xe568]

#

# Failed to write core dump. Minidumps are not enabled by default on client versions of Windows

#

# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:

#  

# The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.

# See problematic frame for where to report the bug.

#

Seems like a known issue in Eclipse/SWT related to RDP usage:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=543747

To confirm:

Are you using the "Remote Desktop Connection" to connect on the Windows 10 running STM32CubeIDE?

Or do you switch between Windows sessions before the crash happened?

Windows published a KB containing some fixes for that library (msctf.dll):

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4517211/windows-10-update-kb4517211

• Addresses an issue with MSCTF.dll that causes an application to stop working.

Anyway for some users the problem persists even with this patch...