cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32CubeIde Failed to start GDB Server on STM32F103C8

Mauri
Associate II

hello,

I have the same problem posted by H.Ahmed on October 2022, read also in other posts:

"Failed to start GDB Server Error Initializing ST-LINK device

Reason (18) Could not verify ST device!"

I tried all suggestions found on web, but no help.

I'm using STM32CubeIde 1.14.1,  ST-Link V2  (updated)

Connection is very simple and should be OK, because if i program the device wth ST-Link Utility

or with STM32CubeProgrammer, all works fine.

I tried with CubeIde 1.8.0 as suggested in another post, but no luck.

Even older projects who i made some years ago, now have the same problem.

I read also on a post that someone from ST apologizes for this problem who is an older

bug reappeared now.

Hope there is a solution, because it would be very frustrating if i'm constrained

to change an IDE who i love, and if i'm unable to mantain older projects.

Thanks in advance

elvisee

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello @Mauri 

To have the most probable device marking for each product. Check the product Package then refer to the TN1433 for verification.

Best Regards.

STTwo-32 

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
TDK
Guru

If you have a counterfeit programmer, that's probably the issue. Falling back to a ~2 year old STM32CubeIDE version would fix. Buying a legit programmer would also fix.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
STTwo-32
ST Employee

Hello @Mauri 

Are you sure that you are using a genuine product. Such a problem can happend if you are using a clone one as mentionned here.

Best Regards.

STTwo-32 

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Mauri
Associate II

Yes, it's a genuine ST-LiNK V2.  I have 2 of them and both work well with CubeProgrammer and ST-Link Utility, but not with IDE

Yes, i think so. Please see attached the screen of ST-Link Utility and Cobe Programmer.

Is there a sign of non genuine product?

Yhank You.

You sure? There's no ST product named "ST-LiNK V2". Can you link to what you have or post a picture?

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

>Is there a sign of non genuine product?

Yes, because IDE refuses to work with this (wrong cpu inside) st-link.

ST-link utilty (old...) + CubeProgrammer not checking (until now) original or not, so they still work.

+

The st-link V2 "sticks" work ok also with IDE, if there is a STM32F103 inside;

i know, because i have some of these !

But also some with a CK32F103 , here IDE tell you the story about wrong product... 

So buy a new st-link V3 , or if want cheap, a st-link V2 "fake" (but verify, it has genuine stm32f103cb inside! )

AScha.3 Thank you for reply.

The ST-Link V2 is original. 

Normally i used the sticks, but since CubeIde 13 it requires FW upgrade, and the sticks don't accept upgrade, because, yes they are CK32F103, 

But since 1.13.0 i use only the original ST-LINK V2, with the most recent FW (today V2J4357).

I uninstalled and installed more times CubeIDE 1.8.0,  1.13.0, 1.14.0 and now 1.14.1.

But if after uninstall something is not totally clean? Maybe Windows10 or CubeIDE saves something (registers or so), who remenbers this problem?

What's your opinion?

thank you very much

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

If nothing else helps, get a J-Link or ST-Link v3.

Mauri
Associate II

I apologize, at the end it seems that the device is NOT genuine, even if it looks that.

I attach 2 pictures: one works, and one gives error.

Is the difference the ST LOGO on the bottom?

Thank you very much to all who replayed me