cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32CubeIDE 1.15.1 extremly slow, 100% CPU usage, then unlock at once (for new empty project)

psp
Associate II

Hello,

I'm using a newly installed STM32CubeIDE on GNU/Linux (Debian/sid, from the .deb provided by ST), without any modification.

I create a new STM32 project in an empty workspace.

Project creation : Very slow, then unlock

To create this new project it takes 16 minutes. During this time, the UI is stuck in the dialog "Perform Project Creation. Please Wait For Completion ...", and one of the Eclipse processes has the CPU at 100%, and memory close to 2GB (I extended the default max to -Xmx2048m in stm32cubeide.ini), then after ~16 minutes, some things unlock, and the rest of the project creation is completed at expected speed.

Build : Very slow, then unlock

Then to build that empty project, it takes 4 minutes : Eclipse seems to hang just after calling make, but before make does anything (I added the --trace option to make to check its progress, and it has not yet reached its first step). Then, again, at once something unlocks, and the the build actually take place in the expected ~300 ms for it.

I didn't find any clue in .metadata/.log or .ide (this one mentions:

"[INFO] ProjectBuilder:5002 - Time for Generating toolchain IDE Files: 1049720mS.")

It feels like something not directly related to the project creation or build is stalling it, up to a timeout or something, and then the IDE takes back its normal course...

Before this problem happened, I had a normally functioning install based on the same version of STM32CubeIDE. I may have done a routine update of my system (apt upgrade) between the working and not so working states, but I'm not sure of the timing of this. (And anyway STM32CubeIDE seems quite independent of the system to me, what could be linked?)

What causes this problem?

What could I do to get more information on this?

Thank you!

PA

7 REPLIES 7
Semer CHERNI
ST Employee

Hello @psp 

First let me thank you posting.

Could you please provide more details like the version of the OS you work with, the log file from the metadata folder.

BR,
Semer.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hello Semer,

Thank you for your reply!

Here is the uname output

Linux t3610 6.7.12-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Debian 6.7.12-1 (2024-04-24) x86_64 GNU/Linux

I put the whole workspace in attachment (including the .metadata).

Best regards,

PA

psp
Associate II

Some more info, if this is of any help (I have no idea how those things works):

It looks like the process is blocked in the exec0() function of the linux/x86_64/libspawner.so lib before actually calling make. Here is the gdb output of where it's stuck:

(gdb) finish
Run till exit from #0 0x00007f4a5a0027f5 in exec0 () from /home/psp/.eclipse/com.st.stm32cube.ide.mcu.rcp.product_1.15.1_139064214_linux_gtk_x86_64/configuration/org.eclipse.osgi/174/0/.cp/os/linux/x86_64/libspawner.so

Then, when the things unlock a few minutes later:

process 9747 is executing new program: /opt/st/stm32cubeide_1.15.1/plugins/com.st.stm32cube.ide.mcu.externaltools.make.linux64_2.1.100.202310302056/tools/bin/make

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

Please look at kernel logs - was there a disk error or something like that?

Hello Pavel,

Thank you for your reply!

Nothing abnormal on

/var/log/syslog

/var/log/messages

/var/log/kern.log

between the start and end of a (~4 minutes) build.

PA

giancarlofi
Associate II

Hello, I have the same problem, I use debian trixie/sid.
I installed cubeide with st-stm32cubeide_1.15.1_21094_20240412_1041_amd64.sh

@psp have you found a solution?

Thank you

Hello,

@giancarlofi  No solution yet. I'll try to trace this to an update that would have broken stm32cubeide, but currently this is on the back burner for me.

If you find something, please also share that here!

Good luck ; ) and regards,

PA