cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I properly declare the open-source license for an STM32 project?

AN..1
Associate II

I implemented an application for an STM32 MCU with the STM32CubeIDE. I'd like to publish the source code as open source under the GPLv3 license on Github. Different licenses apply for the source code from ST, which my application is based on: the BSD-3-Clause for the HAL drivers, the Apache License for CMSIS and the SLA0048 license document in general. As far as I could find out, they should be compatible with GPLv3.

But how to declare the licensing information? My plan is to just put the GPLv3 license text in the root directory of the git repository and to put a short license text at the beginning of each of my files. And of course, I leave all license texts in the ST source files untouched. Is this sufficient? Or should I explicitly declare which software components with which licenses are involved?

Thank you in advance!

3 REPLIES 3

You might be interested in this topic:

licensing - GPLv3 Project with BSD Library - Software Engineering Stack Exchange

there are may be newer threads on stackoverflow

TDK
Guru

SLA0048 requires you to retain its list of conditions (among other things). You can't just change the license and drop those.

Large projects generally list licenses for individual components separately. For example, STM32CubeIDE has the license from the Eclipse Foundation within it.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
AN..1
Associate II

Okay, I'm going to put a table into the LICENSE file, which lists all software components and their licenses. Thank you!