cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Examples do not always run/compile ?

ulao
Associate III

I'm really confused with these examples. I started a new project using the Cube IDE and all works perfectly. I was never a fan of Cube IDE ( 2015 ) but coming back to ST and using Cube IDE I have to say it is rather nice. ... Until you run any example.

When I start up a new project I see the board layout. I can build, and I can debug. After I do debug the project loads and I can use break points

Using examples. I do not see the board layout, I can build but I have to roll the dice to get it to upload the current state of the code. break points do not work and If I make the change I do not always see it and I have no idea what I do to make it work. I play with using the project explore vs menus and then at random times I see my latest code deployed to the board

I'm using ST H7

NUCLEO-H753Z1 with STM32h753z1

ST-Link v3

3 REPLIES 3

The supported tool chains has changed over time, but originally, and more generally, KEIL and IAR are used by commercial entities creating robust embedded products. GHS (GREENHILLS) by those in the MIC.

There's been a shift in recent years to GNU/GCC and Eclipse based tools, but I'm honestly not sure how well tested and supported they are, or who ultimately "owns" responsibility for the testing / validation.

Examples are just that, they aren't supposed to be top-shelf, production ready, but simply a demonstration that something works as might be expected, and that you and your design team need to adequately test and polish them to your own ends, and to meet your own companies QA standards.

I've certainly complained over the years about the quality and testing of the examples, and the fact that a lot of people can only cut-n-paste code, so that errors and flaws in them just get duplicates everywhere, and contaminates everything. A bit like Microsoft's NT DDK's circa 2000, which can be attributed to a lot of Blue Screens (BSOD), and issue with multi-core SMP systems, etc.

Assume only cursory testing is done.

Assume it is only done with specific ST boards/hardware combinations.

Assume very little "Dog Fooding" is done, developers might have their own tool/method preferences.

Assume CubeMX and CubeIDE have their own issues, and integration conflicts.

Assume the example developers are of average competency in SW, and not necessarily spanning SW and HW, IC Design, QA or Validation.

Assume they were coded by Interns, that's neither good nor bad, but some people with CS degrees are less competent than the computer smart kids in high-school.

#TeamKEIL

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
ulao
Associate III

understood

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

> NUCLEO-H753Z1 with STM32h753z1

Note that your NUCLEO-H753 likely is the new one, NUCLEO-H753ZI2.

Please see this question. There are subtle differences from the older nucleo.

The board user manual with all the pin assignments is on the ST website.

All Cube code examples for NUCLEO-H743 should work on the ZI2 board.