cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stm32mp157d-dk1 starting coprocessor from bootloader

mjuels
Associate II

Hi,

I have an stm32mp157d-dk1 board, for which I am building the core-image-minimal image within the poky (Dunfell) distribution. Other than adding the "meta-st-stm32mp" layer I have not made any ST related customisations.

I am trying to launch a custom elf file from the bootloader, following section 3.2.1 of the guide: How to start the coprocessor from the bootloader 

I am running into a few issues:

1. If I simply modify CONFIG_EXTRA_ENV_SETTINGS as suggested I cannot flash the SD card:

That is, if I modify CONFIG_EXTRA_ENV_SETTINGS so that it becomes (I added some additional print-out, that I do not believe is causing my situation):

#define CONFIG_EXTRA_ENV_SETTINGS \
	"stdin=serial\0" \
	"stdout=serial\0" \
	"stderr=serial\0" \
	"kernel_addr_r=0xc2000000\0" \
	"fdt_addr_r=0xc4000000\0" \
	"fdtoverlay_addr_r=0xc4100000\0" \
	"scriptaddr=0xc4100000\0" \
	"pxefile_addr_r=0xc4200000\0" \
	"splashimage=0xc4300000\0"  \
	"ramdisk_addr_r=0xc4400000\0" \
	"altbootcmd=run bootcmd\0" \
	"env_check=if env info -p -d -q; then env save; fi\0" \
	STM32MP_BOOTCMD \
	BOOTENV \
	"boot_net_usb_start=true\0" \
	"m4fw_name=my-m4-fw.elf\0" \
    "m4fw_addr=${kernel_addr_r}\0" \
	"boot_m4fw=rproc init; rproc load 0 ${kernel_addr_r} ${filesize}; rproc start 0\0" \
    "boot_m4_mmc0=if load mmc 0#bootfs ${m4fw_addr} ${m4fw_name} ; then run boot_m4fw; fi;\0"  \
    "bootcmd=echo \"Loading the firmware!\"; echo \"ELF files is: ${m4fw_name}\"; run boot_m4_mmc0; echo \"Running boot command!\"; run bootcmd_mmc0\0" 

Then CubeProgrammer fails as shown in the image:

cubeprogrammer_fail.png

In this case, the serial output from cubeprogrammer is as shown below:

flash_issue_from_st_example.png

Can someone explain what I am doing wrong or what I might be lacking in terms of missing packages, configuration, etc.? My configuration is pretty "vanilla" so other than adding "meta-st-stm32mp" straight from Dunfell, I have not done much wrt. ST setup.

I have found a work-around that allows me to flash the sdcard, by instead defining CONFIG_EXTRA_ENV_SETTINGS as follows:

#define CONFIG_EXTRA_ENV_SETTINGS \
	"stdin=serial\0" \
	"stdout=serial\0" \
	"stderr=serial\0" \
	"kernel_addr_r=0xc2000000\0" \
	"fdt_addr_r=0xc4000000\0" \
	"fdtoverlay_addr_r=0xc4100000\0" \
	"scriptaddr=0xc4100000\0" \
	"pxefile_addr_r=0xc4200000\0" \
	"splashimage=0xc4300000\0"  \
	"ramdisk_addr_r=0xc4400000\0" \
	"altbootcmd=run bootcmd\0" \
	"env_check=if env info -p -d -q; then env save; fi\0" \
	STM32MP_BOOTCMD \
	BOOTENV \
	"boot_net_usb_start=true\0" \
	"m4fw_name=my-m4-fw.elf\0" \
    "m4fw_addr=${kernel_addr_r}\0" \
	"boot_m4fw=rproc init; rproc load 0 ${kernel_addr_r} ${filesize}; rproc start 0\0" \
    "boot_m4_mmc0=if ext4load mmc 0:4 ${kernel_addr_r} ${m4fw_name} ; then run boot_m4fw; fi;\0"  \
    "bootcmd=echo \"Loading the firmware!\"; echo \"ELF files is: ${m4fw_name}\"; run boot_m4_mmc0; echo \"Running boot command!\"; run bootcmd_stm32mp\0" 

In this case I am able to flash the sdcard, but I run into a new issue

2. The m4fw_name variable fails to store the proper elf name

That is, the firmware name in my case is "my-m4-fw.elf" as oppose to the default firmware name "rproc-m4-fw.elf". Part of my image is a package that copies my my-m4-fw.elf file into the bootfs - see image below:

file_list.png  

The "my-m4-fw.elf" is there as it should be. I have verified the elf separately, so I know that it behaves as intended when loaded correctly. 

On the very first boot after I flash the SD card, the firmware name is loaded correctly as shown in the image below, and the firmware launches as expected.

correct_fw_name.png

However, on every subsequent reset and reboot of the board, the elf file name is incorrectly loaded as the default "rproc-m4-fw.elf" as demonstrated below:

faulty_fw_name.png

In this situation, the m4 obviously fails to load the firmware.

Again, can anyone explain to me what I am doing wrong, and why this happens?

0 REPLIES 0