cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32MP151x: can I left the VDD3V3_USBHS Pin unconnected?

4layer
Associate II

Hello,

according to the STM32MP151A/D Datasheet (Table 13.) the voltage on VDD3V3_USBHS Pin can be 0 ... 3.6V when USBH not used.

But on the another page of the Datasheet there is this section:

"VDD3V3_USBHS and VDD3V3_USBFS are respectively the USB high-speed and full-speed PHY supply. Voltage range is 3.07 V to 3.6 V. VDD3V3_USBFS is used to supply OTG_VBUS and ID pins. So, VDD3V3_USBFS must be supplied as well when USB high- speed OTG device is used. If not used, must be connected to VDD."

The last sentence is the opposite of the data given in Table 13.

Now I dont know what I am allowed to do? I dont need USB on my board and I dont want to add circuitry that is mandatory according to datasheets requirement: "VDDA1V8_REG must be present before VDD3V3_USBHS".

Thanks for help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PatrickF
ST Employee

Hi @4layer​ ,

I agree it is somewhat misleading, the "If not used, must be connected to VDD." will be removed from future datasheet.

If USB_VBUS/USB_ID/OTG_FS_DP/OTG_FS_DM are not used for OTG, the VDD3V3_USBFS could be either VSS (recommended), open or VDD.

If USB_DPx/USB_DMx are not used for neither USBH nor OTG, the VDD3V3_USBHS could be either VSS (recommended) or open.

These details would be provided in future AN5031 update.

Please note that not having USB OTG high-speed mean no way to flash at decent speed using CubeProgrammer (UART is extremely slow for download a complete image and JTAG is only for debugging in STM32MP platforms).

If no ethernet port available, OTG high-speed is also required to provide an Ethernet-Over-USB to allow SSH debugging (e.g. CubeIDE in production mode).

See also this similar post: https://community.st.com/s/question/0D53W00001FRAH6SAP

Regards.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
PatrickF
ST Employee

Hi @4layer​ ,

I agree it is somewhat misleading, the "If not used, must be connected to VDD." will be removed from future datasheet.

If USB_VBUS/USB_ID/OTG_FS_DP/OTG_FS_DM are not used for OTG, the VDD3V3_USBFS could be either VSS (recommended), open or VDD.

If USB_DPx/USB_DMx are not used for neither USBH nor OTG, the VDD3V3_USBHS could be either VSS (recommended) or open.

These details would be provided in future AN5031 update.

Please note that not having USB OTG high-speed mean no way to flash at decent speed using CubeProgrammer (UART is extremely slow for download a complete image and JTAG is only for debugging in STM32MP platforms).

If no ethernet port available, OTG high-speed is also required to provide an Ethernet-Over-USB to allow SSH debugging (e.g. CubeIDE in production mode).

See also this similar post: https://community.st.com/s/question/0D53W00001FRAH6SAP

Regards.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
4layer
Associate II

Thank you very much for the quick and good answer.

I have Ethernet and tested Bootloader downloading with UART.