cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32MP1 - Bare metal on A7

mkurtz
Associate II

Hi,

I have a current project using the M7 that I need to port over to the A7. The goal is to be running bare-metal code on the A7, like we are on the M7. 

Currently, I am following this open source guide to run bare-metal on the A7 and it seems to work fine. 

Does ST provide any support for running bare-metal on the A7? Does the stmCubeIDE allow for this? Is there a guide on porting a project from the M7 over to the A7? 

Any help or information regarding this would be helpful!

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

Not sure ST provides any substantial support, you're expected to have your own roster of staff and experts. If you've got run rates like Apple or Nike, they might air-drop some staff.. Army of One, probably less so.

u-Boot would be the stuff that's bare-metal, so look at how that's built, how you can get code on the board via MicroSD, FTP, etc. so you can get .HEX files from you development tools on too the board. Should be mechanics to load .ELF and the linkers capable of building. There's GNU/GCC behind the curtains of STM CubeIDE, might be able to push that into service, or just make stuff, and push it over.

STM32 Cube Programmer has a "debugger" you should see how that behaves, perhaps other tools from Segger.

Back when I was doing LINUX on ATMEL / MARVELL, we'd use KEIL / REALVIEW, and could certainly debug the ROMs / bare-metal / u-Boot stuff all the way into the kernel load up until it went virtual.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Olivier GALLIEN
ST Employee

Hi @mkurtz 

Since November 2023 ST is delivering and supporting Bare metal on A7 with STM32CubeMP13 Package. 

refer to : 

STM32CubeMP13 Package - Getting started - stm32mpu

Olivier

Olivier GALLIEN
In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

@Olivier GALLIEN 

Thank you for that info. Is the STM32CubeMP13 Package compatible with the STM32MP15 family? 

Hi @mkurtz,

The package intend to and has been only validated with STM32MP13.

If some pieces may probably be compatible it will be anyway limited to MP13 features : single core A7, no GPU .. 

Does your application requires a MP15 specificity? 

Olivier 

Olivier GALLIEN
In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

@Olivier GALLIEN 

Currently we are developing with the STM32MP157A-DK1 and the plan is to move forward with the MP157.

I have been successful running bare-metal on the mp157 using the guide I linked above, however I would like to have something also supported by ST. 

We currently have much of our code base on the M7 and need to migrate over to the A7. Does ST support any type of migration package? 

mkurtz
Associate II

@Olivier GALLIEN 

Is there support for any RTOS on the A7 within the mp15 family of processors? We are looking to possibly run micropython on top of freeRTOS on the A7.