cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with USART1 Reset in U-Boot on STM32MP15 with TZEN

HLee.21
Associate III

Hello,

I'm working with the STM32MP15 and have found a problem with USART1 during the boot process on a secure boot enabled (TZEN) hardware. The system freezes when U-Boot tries to reset USART1.

The problem is with the RCC_APB5RSTSETR register (0x188). This register, including the USART1RST bit, can only be changed in secure mode (by OP-TEE) because of the TZEN restriction. However, U-Boot (non-secure world) attempts to modify this register by default. This is because of arch/arm/dts/stm32mp15-u-boot.dtsi:

&usart1 {
    resets = <&rcc USART1_R>;
};

The ST devkits use UART4RST, this is not TZEN protected. But USART1 is and that causes a bus error:

The system freezes.

I solved this by using SCMI (so that OP-TEE does the actual reset):

resets = <&scmi_reset RST_SCMI_USART1>;

Initially, I thought to put this change in my stm32mp153c-custom-scmi.dtsi, but that ...u-boot.dtsi overrides it. So, the change needs to go in a stm32mp153c-custom-u-boot.dtsi.

It took me half a day to figure this all out. To help prevent this in the future, I suggest:

• Maybe stm32mp15-u-boot.dtsi should have a note saying the RCC for USART1_R can only be changed when TZEN is off?
  • How about adding an error message in stm32-reset.c for attempts to change TZEN-protected registers?
  • Is creating a stm32mp153c-custom-scmi-u-boot.dtsi file a good idea for better organization?
  • Is ST planning to reorganize the STM32MP devkit DTS files to make them less confusing?

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
Erwan SZYMANSKI
ST Employee

Hello @HLee.21 ,
Sorry for the issue you faced, and we thank you for sharing this. This is really appreciated.
We will analyze it internally and correct it.

Kind regards,
Erwan.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.