cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32MP1 FDCAN 1 or 2 not working

ASuar.1
Associate III

I am configured both the FDCAN interfaces on the STM32MP1 discovery board with the settings below using STM32CubeMX.

FDCAN1: PA11 (RX) PA12 (TX)

FDCAN2: PB12 (RX) PB13 (TX)

But I can't seem to get any data from either interface. I have a logic analyzer connected and have verified that there are packets going to the discovery board but candump doesn't show anything and cansend doesn't seem to be sending out any frames.

I also use the following command to turn on each interface.

ip link set can0 type can bitrate 500000

ifconfig can0 up

Am I missing something in the settings?

Thanks,

3 REPLIES 3
ASuar.1
Associate III

Looking further into the problem it seems to be caused by the FDCAN pins not being initialized.

When I put the can interface into loopback mode I am able to see the packets that I send. But when I do a physical loop back connecting RX to TX I don't see anything.

Is there a reason certain gpio would not be configured correctly at boot? And are there work around?

ASuar.1
Associate III

So removing the "sleep" from the device tree of the both kernel and u-boot seemed to have fixed it.

&m_can2{
	pinctrl-names = "default", "sleep";
	pinctrl-0 = <&fdcan2_pins_mx>;
	pinctrl-1 = <&fdcan2_sleep_pins_mx>;
	status = "okay";

/* USER CODE BEGIN m_can2 */
	can-transceiver {
		max-bitrate = <5000000>;
	};
	/* USER CODE END m_can2 */
};

Hi @ASuar.1​ 

I'm sorry you're having issues with CAN. I am seeing the exact same issue. Your post saved me a lot of time, and my client a lot of money. Thank you! I wish somebody at ST would take a look and fix the underlying problem.

This is my workaround for CAN1:

&m_can1 {
-	pinctrl-names = "default", "sleep";
+	pinctrl-names = "default";
  	pinctrl-0 = <&m_can1_pins_b> ;
-	pinctrl-1 = <&m_can1_sleep_pins_b>;
  	status = "okay";
  }