cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how my colleague see the changes on kernel for Distribution Package of STM32mp1

asadullah4571
Associate III

Hi everyone 
i download the Distribution package for ##STM32MP1F-DK2 and i made some changes on kernel like in device tree, my colleague is doing work-from-home job, So my colleague wanted to see the changes own there laptop and something want to change according to there requirement on same source code( Distribution package). how we can do that .
please help me out this 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Erwan SZYMANSKI
ST Employee

Hello @asadullah4571 ,
For me, the good process would be to create your own Yocto meta-layer containing a Linux bbappend recipe to overwrite/change the configuration of the Linux kernel. So if for example you need to patch the device tree, your patches will be taken and applied by your bbappend file.

Then, this meta-layer can be remotely located on a GitHub repo, then your other colleagues can get it updated. 

Do not forget to add this new layer to the Yocto build system with bitbake-layers add-layer command.

Kind regards,
Erwan.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Erwan SZYMANSKI
ST Employee

Hello @asadullah4571 ,
For me, the good process would be to create your own Yocto meta-layer containing a Linux bbappend recipe to overwrite/change the configuration of the Linux kernel. So if for example you need to patch the device tree, your patches will be taken and applied by your bbappend file.

Then, this meta-layer can be remotely located on a GitHub repo, then your other colleagues can get it updated. 

Do not forget to add this new layer to the Yocto build system with bitbake-layers add-layer command.

Kind regards,
Erwan.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
asadullah4571
Associate III

Thanks @Erwan SZYMANSKI 
for the given information i purely agree with you, but there is one issue that, is it necessary to having the distribution package on the my colleague host machine. 

i did not understand that ,
i downloaded the zip file of openstlinux distribution package, and unzip that one , then i create the custom meta layers, after that i run this command $ devtool modify linux-stm32
then it creates the workspace i modify the dts file i commit it and creating the patches on custom meta layers ,  
my question is. how this patches reflect on the my colleague. 
suppose my colleague does not have any source code. he wanted my Source code where i did the changes, so how he will get the source code including my changes.