cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32MP257F-EV1 unable to connect to board

liamkinne
Associate II

Following the instructions on the wiki page for getting started, the board does not appear over USB and cannot be recognised by STM32CubeProgrammer.

Green power LED is on. Switches are in correct position. STLink is red light is blinking. Power rails seem fine, although DDR is 0 volts.

I have tried two different computers, one Linux, one macOS and neither can detect the USB device or connect to it from STM32CubeProgrammer. I have also tried different cables.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

LD6 is only for STLINK, so ok when using CN20

100mA 5V is ok for a boot without activity nor display.

Could you try using:

• BOOT = 0001 (SD-Card).
    PatrickF_0-1719576936970.png
  • No SD-Card in the socket.
  • no USB on CN21 (STLINK)
  • no USB on CN15 (USB DRD)

This should blink small red LED LD1 at about 5Hz (mean the processor is in serial boot waiting UART/USB connection).

If not succeed, try same with JP3 populated (to force STLINK in reset).

If this is not ok, I suspect a faulty board

Regards,

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Olivier GALLIEN
ST Employee

Hi @liamkinne 

Please confirm you connect USB cable on CN15 USB2 DRD Type C connector and you are using specific CubeProgrammer version you might get on a restricited Teamspace. 

STM32MP257x-EV1 - hardware description - stm32mp25-beta-v5

Olivier 

Olivier GALLIEN
In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hello,

Yes I can confirm I am using CN15 located next to the miniPCIe connector.

The version of CubeProgrammer is v2.16.0 on MacOS and on Linux.

liamkinne
Associate II

I have done some probing on the board and it appears something is preventing the reset line from coming up. The pull-up resistor next to the reset button is getting 3.3V, but something is holding the reset line at about 80mV.

Hi @liamkinne 

Please check power supply.

If you are powering from an USB charger (CN21 and JP4 on 1-2 position), the LD6 should be green or orange.
If not, try using another USB source for CN21 (PC or Type-C charger).

Did you try powering with a 5V-12V on CN20 (with JP4 on 2-3 position) ?

Regards.

LD6 doesn't seem to illuminate with ether USB power or with the barrel jack. LD5 blinks red and LD11 only illuminates when powering from the barrel jack.

Powering with the barrel jack from a good lab supply, it draws only 100mA at 5V.

LD6 is only for STLINK, so ok when using CN20

100mA 5V is ok for a boot without activity nor display.

Could you try using:

• BOOT = 0001 (SD-Card).
    PatrickF_0-1719576936970.png
  • No SD-Card in the socket.
  • no USB on CN21 (STLINK)
  • no USB on CN15 (USB DRD)

This should blink small red LED LD1 at about 5Hz (mean the processor is in serial boot waiting UART/USB connection).

If not succeed, try same with JP3 populated (to force STLINK in reset).

If this is not ok, I suspect a faulty board

Regards,

@PatrickFJP3 forcing the STLINK reset has fixed it!

Got the blinking LED and the board has been recognized by CubeProgrammer in DFU mode.

Is it possible the onboard STLINK has somehow corrupted firmware causing it to assert the reset line? Am I able to recover or re-flash the firmware on the STLINK? I have a couple spare STLINKs if that helps.

There is an issue with CubeProgrammer when it comes to connecting over DFU. I get the error:

22:43:50 : Error: Database cannot be found. DatabasePath = /Applications/STMicroelectronics/STM32Cube/STM32CubeProgrammer/STM32CubeProgrammer.app/Contents/MacOs/bin/../Data_Base/STM32_Prog_DB_0x505.xml
22:43:50 : Error: CUBEPROGRAMMER_ERROR_NOT_SUPPORTED

I have tried uninstalling and re-installing CubeProgrammer which didn't fix it. The file STM32_Prog_DB_0x505.xml doesn't appear to exist.

Olivier GALLIEN
ST Employee

Hi @liamkinne 

As said CubeProg 2.16 does not suppor MP25

A version 2.17 will be release in coming days. 

Olivier

Olivier GALLIEN