cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32WL55 and DevEUI,++

Niclas Hedhman
Associate III

The STM32WL55 Nucleo board comes with the LoraWAN DevEUI, AppKey et al.

I assume that this is not the case for STM32WL55CC mcu itself, right? And I have to work out how to write that into each device by myself.

// Niclas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MGami.1
Associate III

Hi Niclas,

You can go through this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KNfrWoa1fw&list=PLnMKNibPkDnHZyJtMRpWSs41CWhPouRwq&index=4

And I think you have to write it according to your settings.

Regards

Milan

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
MGami.1
Associate III

Hi Niclas,

You can go through this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KNfrWoa1fw&list=PLnMKNibPkDnHZyJtMRpWSs41CWhPouRwq&index=4

And I think you have to write it according to your settings.

Regards

Milan

Thanks, and I interpret that as "Each STM32WL55 has a unique ID, that can be used as DevEUI.". JoinEUI can be whatever, but that leaves an AppKey. hmmm...  I think I will hold off using STM32WL55 directly for other reasons and continue with modules.

DWalk.3
Associate III

Yes, it looks like you can indeed use the unique ID for the DevID. Unfortunately, the JoinEUI (AppEUI) must be an IEEE-allocated EUI-64. You could always scrap an STM32WL and use its DevEUI as your AppEUI. Just know that if someone looks up your MAC address, it will come up as registered to ST Micro. It's fairly inexpensive to buy a small block from the IEEE ($835 today). This would give you 28 bits of EUI-64s (more than 268 million devices).

The AppKey can be anything you want. You just want to keep it private and make certain it's different for every device. One idea is to generate it from this website that generates random numbers using atmospheric noise.

Good luck!

Right, I knew that but $835 is quite a bit when bootstrapping on my own dime. There is also the added cost of put in a efficient process to program that, so would like to avoid that initially.

But thanks for bringing it up, many others might be unaware.