cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32WB5MMGH6TR BLE Question on Pairing ....using MOOC video???

SWenn.1
Senior III

Hello all..

I have a proprietary pcb with the above mcu.  Board works fine.  I am using BLE but with NO bells and whistles (no encryption, authenication or authorizations.  I decided I wanted to play around with these things so I have been following the MOOC videos on security.  In the following video at 3:12

MOOC Pairing video 

the presenter shows that a pairing window pops up on the screen.  I have done exactly what he has done in short the only change I make is to change a NO to a YES on one of the characteristic permissions for ENCRYPTION READ.  When I try and access this my phone applications (I've tried nRFConnect and ST BLE Toolbox) disconnects and I do NOT get any pairing message.  Other characteristics seem to work fine.  Can anyone tell me what I may have wrong here?  

I am using a power supply so no current limit issues and the parameter can be read fine when I turn YES back to NO.

Thanks

Steve

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

As I've said before I did that....it does not work...app disconnects....

Turns out the key which was never mentioned was setting

CFG_MITM_PROTECTION to MITM protection not required (0x00)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Issamos
Lead II

Hello @SWenn.1 

For the Hands-on Pairing Just works, Characteristic must require encryption before it can be read by Client. Upon read request, GATT server will generate error message “Insufficient Encryption”. Client will then initiate pairing and encrypt the link.

You shall not require Authentication since there is no MITM protection with Just Works.

Best regards.

II

SWenn.1
Senior III

Hello II

if you mean set the parameter as below I already done that as the video explains this....If you mean some other switch needs to be set somewhere then please point me to the correct tab /location as the video definitely does NOT suggest anything else

SWenn1_0-1693933366701.png

Hello again

Yes, I mean set the parameter as you have done. To make the application work you need to switch ENCRYPTION READ to Yes.

Best regards 

As I've said before I did that....it does not work...app disconnects....

Turns out the key which was never mentioned was setting

CFG_MITM_PROTECTION to MITM protection not required (0x00)