cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenThread SED CoAP Power Consumption

jmarx
Associate

I am using the stm32wb boards to learn OpenThread and develop a low power application to read some sensor data. My plan is to use a CoAP message to send the payload, and have been studying the THREAD_SED_Coap_Multicast example in an attempt to learn. When looking at the power consumption of the board, I have been unable to determine the cause of some short spikes in current when in low power. In all the figures shown, I have disabled the SED polling, and the CoAP messages are sent every 30 seconds. I would expect the current to drop to roughly 2.5 uA (as it does) in between messages and stay there, but instead after a transmission, there are exactly 5 small spikes in current, which from their shape I am assuming are radio activity? These are spaced 1 second apart. Then as the sleep cycle goes on, there will be other slightly larger spikes.

Here is the consumption over about 80 seconds

jmarx_5-1687894477983.png

The tall spikes are the CoAP messages be transmitted

jmarx_6-1687894514122.png

This is the shape of the 5 evenly spaced spikes following every transmitted message

jmarx_7-1687894545019.png

And here is the shape of the other spikes which occur intermittently

jmarx_8-1687894562109.png

It would be very helpful if I was able to get some insight into what may be causing this - as all I changed from the example is a longer time between coap messages (this occurs the same if I include polling). Running a similar SED for zigbee does not include any activity between transmissions, as shown below

jmarx_9-1687894577122.png

Thank you very much

0 REPLIES 0