cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change NUCLEO-WL55JC1 antenna

JPablo1
Associate II

Hi, I'm implementing a LoRa network (not LoRaWAN) using NUCLEO-WL55JC1 boards in a Master-Slave topology. I've scattered 7 end nodes, i.e., slaves, throughout 150 hectares and achieved successful data transmission. Each of these slaves and their related circuitry is placed inside small steel cabinets specially made for them, in which only a small hole was left for the antenna to pass through. The cabinets are attached to lampposts at about 4 meters high.

As for the master, it will be located inside a room and permanently powered by a computer. However, it would be convenient if the antenna could be placed on the building roof, so I can achieve line of sight with some of the slaves and avoid many obstacles for the others. This way, I can transmit with less power and minimize the chance of any unsuccessful transmission. I have already installed a high-gain antenna on the roof that can be connected from inside, but I realized that the antenna that comes with the NUCLEO-WL55JC1 is glued in place.

Is it possible to change the antenna by somehow removing the glue? And if not, please give me some advice on how to place the board outside and still be able to communicate with it via USART from the PC.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello again 

I advise you to use the suitable wrench and work gently so as not to damage the other components of the board.

When your question is answered, please close this topic by choosing "Accept as Solution". This will help other users find that answer faster.

Issam

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
IIRHO.1
ST Employee

Hello @JPablo1 and welcome to ST Community.

You can change the antenna. You just need to take a look to the part 6.6.3 of the UM2592 to check the compatibility of your antenna with the NUCLEO-WL55JC1.

When your question is answered, please close this topic by choosing "Accept as Solution". This will help other users find that answer faster.

Issam

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hi, thanks for your response. Do you recommend any special way to unattach the current antenna? Since it's glued from factory, it won't be possible to unsrew it unless I use a wrench but I suppose it might damage the base or other board components.

Regards

Hello again 

I advise you to use the suitable wrench and work gently so as not to damage the other components of the board.

Issam