cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VBUS sense and ID for USB OTG on STM32U595

jt94093
Associate

I am using the USB port on a STM32U595 in device mode only. I am not using a type-C interface with a CC controller. I see that the NUCLEO144_Q with STM32U575 divides the USB VBUS input and connects it to PC2 for use as VBUS_SENSE.

[Q1] Do I need to connect PA9/PA10 (USB_OTG_HS_VBUS and USB_OTG_HS_ID) on the U595?

[Q2] If so, what is the recommended approach? For example, tie USB_OTG_HS_VBUS directly to the 5V VBUS input and tie USB_OTG_HS_ID to VDD to indicate device role?
[Q3] How is PC2 used for VBUS_SENSE on the U575 NUCLEO board - just as an interrupt or general-purpose input?

[Q4] Should I connect VBUS to PC2 like the NUCLEO board instead of using USB_OTG_HS_VBUS?

Thank you  -Jason

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
FBL
ST Employee

Hi @jt94093 

>Q1 you do not necessarily need to connect the USB_OTG_HS_ID pin if you're not implementing OTG functionality (change role host to device and vice versa ). However, the USB_OTG_HS_VBUS need to be connected for VBUS detection,

>Q2 The recommended approach is detailed in schematics, 

>Q3 Check the examples provided in cube firmware and you can see if the PC2 is used as EXTI.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
FBL
ST Employee

Hi @jt94093 

>Q1 you do not necessarily need to connect the USB_OTG_HS_ID pin if you're not implementing OTG functionality (change role host to device and vice versa ). However, the USB_OTG_HS_VBUS need to be connected for VBUS detection,

>Q2 The recommended approach is detailed in schematics, 

>Q3 Check the examples provided in cube firmware and you can see if the PC2 is used as EXTI.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hi @FBL. Thank you, I'll just support all of these connection options on the board and we should be covered.

Jason